Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Cape Kiwanda HDR
Lens: Pentax Ltd. 20-40mm/2.8-4.0 Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: Cape Kiwanda ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 

I made a trip to Cape Kiwanda close to Pacific City, OR. I got there a little bit too late so I've missed some nice sun conditions, but overall I like what I captured. This is also my first attempt at HDR so I'm curious about your comments. I've posted some more pictures on my blog not sure if I should post them all here as well. The HDR were made using automated flow in Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW.

12-14-2014, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Holy moly! Those are some breath-taking colors! So somber and pastel! A truly beautiful image!
12-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
The rocks look amazing there, I've seen some pictures from other vantage points that also looked great and need to figure out where exactly those were taken from before my next trip there
Anyway here is also another HDR looking in the other direction:
12-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing scenery and beautiful photos. Nice work!

12-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice colors and great photos!
I would probably crop out more of the sea in the first photo - there is much more "action" on the land!
12-15-2014, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks I have two taken in landscape orientation as well:

But I really like the colors in front of the camera in the first composition with the grass on the right side.
12-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful. (I see you're the one who posted the shots of the forest path the other day too, which I also really enjoyed.) My only criticism, and it's minor, is it looks like a couple of these are suffering from some barrel distortion, and/or the horizon isn't quite level.
12-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Beautiful. (I see you're the one who posted the shots of the forest path the other day too, which I also really enjoyed.) My only criticism, and it's minor, is it looks like a couple of these are suffering from some barrel distortion, and/or the horizon isn't quite level.
Thank you I believe you're correct regarding distortion/horizon level - it was my first field test of the new lens (Pentax Ltd. 20-40), I don't think Lightroom has any distortion profiles yet (and I've just switched to Lightroom from Aperture) but I'll need to figure out some profile to correct it at 20mm. I didn't look at the horizon when post-processing since I did use the electronic levels on K5IIs but I'm not sure if it will be 100% accurate to high precision.

12-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
figure out some profile to correct it at 20mm
You can always give it a manual tweak in Lightroom, in Develop Module, right hand side towards the bottom, lens corrections, last tab manual, check the constrain crop and then tweak the six sliders about until it looks right.
12-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You can always give it a manual tweak in Lightroom, in Develop Module, right hand side towards the bottom, lens corrections, last tab manual, check the constrain crop and then tweak the six sliders about until it looks right.
I need to dig deeper into some of the lens correction settings in Lightroom, Aperture was lacking here so I'm not used to checking for distortion much, besides before the new lens I mostly shot with standard primes which didn't show any visible distortion.
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful work!! Does anyone else see a "face" in the first photo?
12-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

I guess that I have to disagree with other comments. I don't see barrel distortion, I just see a horizon that is not level. It shows in all of your posted pictures. I do like your photography, great color, detail and composition. A beautiful area and you do it justice! I took the liberty of downloading one of your pix and leveling the horizon. Of course I had to re-crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
I guess that I have to disagree with other comments. I don't see barrel distortion, I just see a horizon that is not level.
There is definitely barrel distortion, it is especially prominent on the level/crop that you did, where the ocean horizon on the left side is higher than near the shore. And i believe that's the un-level that you see - since at least according to the electronic level in the body the camera was leveled when I was taking the shots.
12-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I like all the photos and for HDR, you did a great job of not overdoing it. I wonder how much the shots called for HDR, except maybe the 2nd one. It just doesn't look like a scene with that much contrast.

Besides that, I feel like all the images need a bit more contrast or specifically more darks. Right now the image seems a bit flat like there isn't that much dynamic range there.
12-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I like all the photos and for HDR, you did a great job of not overdoing it. I wonder how much the shots called for HDR, except maybe the 2nd one. It just doesn't look like a scene with that much contrast.

Besides that, I feel like all the images need a bit more contrast or specifically more darks. Right now the image seems a bit flat like there isn't that much dynamic range there.
Thanks, since I've never done HDR before I've figured why not try especially since the setting sun was still illuminating the sky while the rocks were already shaded, so the highlights in the sky were a little blown out in the base exposition and the rocks near me were a little dark (although I could boost the shadows from original exposure). I could probably do with just 2 exposures, but again - no experience in HDR so I just set it to 5 exposures and used all in post

The few captures that were looking towards the ocean and the sun definitely improved a lot with HDR. As for the contrast I guess it also depends on the screen - at home on a calibrated IPS screen the images look much crispier compared to at work where I have a definitely not calibrated and not IPS monitors. But I can definitely look into boosting the contrast a little bit and see how that looks - after all you start to see more in pictures after few days compared to the day you spent some time on processing them.