Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

Portrait Critique
Lens: FA 50mm 1.4 Camera: K30 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.4 

New here, just looking for some portrait critiques. This one was shot in bright, harsh sunlight. ISO 100 F1.4, 1/125 I think...

Attached Images

12-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe it's just me but I went through a phase where I was always going for the wide open f1.4 or whatever thin DOF stuff... but for me I find that stopping down some makes portraits of people more interesting. My current thinking and preference is that the person's face and features need to be sharp and in focus. I also prefer to have people making eye contact... between those two it makes for much more 'engaging' images.

For example the cutie pie little girl is smiling and happy... but she is looking off into space...at what no one knows (and I am aware that posing a child is not easy)... but let's just talk theory here... if she had that same expression and was looking into the camera... it would mean a lot more as an image.

Also on this specific image shooting down... eh... gotta get down low... even if you get a little dirty.. get on the same level with the person...it gives photos of this nature more personality when you do...
12-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As stated above, try the same picture but while being at her level. Also, make sure the eyes are in focus.

It's still a cute capture, and a powerful memory.
12-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I normally don't comment on photos unless I see something that catches my eyes.... this one does not catches my eyes... but when you mention harsh sunlight, I don't really get it by looking at this picture. I also have a strong feeling that you are being too close to the little girl that the DOF becomes too shallow to make the subject stand out; her right arm is completely flat and blended in with the background.