Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Engagement
Lens: FA 50 1.4 Camera: K30 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.4 

Here is a B&W engagement photo taken recently, looking for help in post as much as in composition. Posing is one of my weaknesses.

12-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Original Poster
Flickr?

I'm still wrapping my head around this Flickr thing...
Attached Images

12-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're interested in critique, so here goes.

I like it, in general. I'm sure they'll be pleased.

It is soft. I think that's what you were going with, and it works with the background, but less so with the subjects. There is no strong anchor point.

Careful with lips. People stretch their lips when kissing, and that's fine, but on a picture it's not flattering. Mouths need to be close but not lips not moving.
12-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
They did like it. I thought the lips, and the faces in general were awkward. I don't disagree with anything you've said. Thank you for the critiques. Any advice to keep poses like this (kissing poses specifically) from being awkward and "smushy?"

12-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tjburns1 Quote
...Any advice to keep poses like this (kissing poses specifically) from being awkward and "smushy?"...
Don't let them touch. Let them 'almost' touch...
12-23-2014, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, apart from the lips it works well. With a scenario like this you could try a few more things. for instance, have them look over their shoulder towards you, or have their foreheads touch, have him say something funny in her ear...

Posing is never easy and couples are never alike. One thing I do is bring a tablet with me, on which I have installed "posing app" which is a database of poses, hand-drawn (it works better than pictures because with actual pictures, the clients start looking at the people, not the poses). I have them browse the poses and mark their favourites. The app gives me many ideas, and by having the clients narrowing them down, I'm sure to work in a way that pleases them.

I also have a few favourites which I end up doing all the time anyway, but I mostly start with their preferences.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lv.mendo.posingapp&hl=fr
12-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
Working with a tablet and a posing app sounds like a wonderful idea. Thanks, Bdery, I will have to check it out.