Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Portrait & film simulation
Lens: Fa 35mm Camera: KII ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F7.1 

I am not a portrait person. In fact, I used to hate doing any portrait work. Then my son came along....and shooting portraits of him is all I have time for these days. I am not very good at them and want to get better.

I am looking for a critique of 2 things here. First, the photo itself. Second, I tried to do a manual film simulation in photoshop and I am interested in comments as to how badly I failed....

Please be honest. I want to improve. Thanks.

url=https://flic.kr/p/pxSPLK][/url]

12-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

I think depending on your intentions, the film simulation is spot on for a film snapshot. I would personally scale back the contrast and the red slightly.

As far as the photo itself, you are really hot in the T zone which could be a matter of flash. I try to avoid using my flash whenever possible in similar situations. If there was no flash then it's just a matter of paying attention to the lighting in the room. That said, as a parent, something like this would surely find it's way onto my wall.
12-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was going for a kodachrome-esq look on the processing. Yeah, the T zone is blown out a bit due to the flash. It was evening indoors, so I didn't have much of a choice. I tried to bounce it, but did not work out like I wanted.
12-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't mind taking the time for manual white balance, I can very fond of the in-camera Reversal Film mode.