Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first Owl in the Wild
Lens: DA* 300/4 Camera: K-5 ii Photo Location: Near Ottawa, Canada ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F6.3 

I tried to follow this Barred Owl for a while through the woods, and this was the best shot I was able to take before it flew away - I didn't have much choice with sightlines or lighting. I'm pleased with the way the image shows the owl in its natural environment, and happy with the focus. This image has been cropped somewhat to remove a distracting out-of-focus tree trunk nearby. I'd be glad for any comments on the composition or other aspects. Thanks.

- Craig

12-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

Great capture - looks way oversharpened to me but that could be the jpeg. I also find the orange bits below the owl to be a bit distracting.
12-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks very good. I've taken a few pix of Owls, including Barred and you don't get the chance to pose them. They are where they are and you have to shoot fast, before they get spooked and fly away.

The pix is very sharp and it appears you nailed the focus point. I use the eyes, BTW....and I also use F 8.

It's very hard taking a pix of a wild animal in the bush...all sorts of errant branches that catch the focus...rather than the subject you are aiming for.

I like the photo very much, very sharp and did you notice how well nature camouflages these magnificent birds of prey....boy does it blend with the tree.

As far as the 'orange' being distracting, not sure what you can do about that...looks to me like it's simply bits of the tree that just happen to be there naturally. BTW, I didn't notice it till the previous poster pointed it out. I wouldn't worry about it.
12-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Can you crop it a bit more? It is hard to say, depending on how sharp it is, and how much you have already cropped.

The only thing you can do to get a better shot sometimes is to get another shot of a very hard to find, very skittish and camouflaged bird.

Great capture. I've heard these guys, but never got a shot of one.

12-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Owls are so elusive (and nocturnal) that getting a decent shot of one is a real thrill. In the avian photography universe, it seems like there are two distinct types of shots: those for help with ID, and those that are for artistic ends. Most of us seem to end up with the former--a shot of a cool owl in a tree. Among attributes that separates each type of shot I believe is clean framing and perspective. While this owl is captured in its environment, there are branches that interfere. Also the background is very detailed. And the perspective is that of looking up at the bird, which kinda brings an ID-to-snapshot feel.

So, for an owl ID shot this is quite nice, and I'd be happy to take it too.

For more artistic shots, I'd suggest you check out the Avian Gallery of the Nature Photographer's Network. A lot of those very fine shots have a more level perspective. The backgrounds are less complicated too. And many shoot with f2.8 300-400mm glass, at larger apertures. But getting that perspective takes a lot of preparation, including climbing trees prior to dawn.

M
12-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great shot, Craig. Could be a Robert Bateman painting.
12-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot considering you had to focus through the branches in front of the owl !

12-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for your kind comments and constructive suggestions - sharpening; cropping; perspective; background; distractions; etc.

As for a Bateman painting - I think he was much more subdued with the branches!

Miguel, thanks for the link to the Avian Gallery; I'll visit that site regularly.

Thanks again.

Craig