Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
The city that never sleeps
Lens: Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: New York ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F9 

Night skyline of NYC captured from Hoboken, NJ... Please advise on what could be improved in this pic.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
12-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That's a good shot considering the 18-55 is a basic kit lens with limited sharpness.
  • The building lights south of the Empire State Building (right half of the image) don't have much color to them. I might try an alternate composition with the ESB shifted right, moving the colors on the left more into the frame.
  • The sky looks a little blotchy but I think that's because of jpg compression on the forum, not anything you can control. Your original probably looks better.
  • Was this cropped to the wide format from a single 18mm image, or did you stitch several 55mm images together? It's not important for on-screen viewing but if you ever want to print very large stitching can give a lot more resolution.
12-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That's a good shot considering the 18-55 is a basic kit lens with limited sharpness.
  • The building lights south of the Empire State Building (right half of the image) don't have much color to them. I might try an alternate composition with the ESB shifted right, moving the colors on the left more into the frame.
  • The sky looks a little blotchy but I think that's because of jpg compression on the forum, not anything you can control. Your original probably looks better.
  • Was this cropped to the wide format from a single 18mm image, or did you stitch several 55mm images together? It's not important for on-screen viewing but if you ever want to print very large stitching can give a lot more resolution.
Thanks DeadJohn, for your feedback! I did crop this to a wide format from a single image.. I thought I would have ESB in the center as there was a boat (well lit) further left of the image that was distracting and had to be cropped out..
12-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by divyaprasan Quote
Please advise on what could be improved in this pic
Bringing out more detail in the water might be an improvement...

Last edited by wildman; 02-06-2015 at 03:24 AM.
12-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Wildman! The second pic is a slightly modified version of the same image with better contrast this time.