Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 03:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Guernsey lighthouse
Lens: 18-55 WR Camera: K5 Photo Location: Guernsey ISO: 400 

Hello!
Uploading this photo, to get any advices on anything really. This is post processed. Original was noisy and rather dull, while it was shot on sunset, which was behind me. This is one pic of a sequence taken for timelapse. Didnt like it though at the time, but now was going through all the shots and looked at it from different side and decided to try process it.
Thanks in advance for any advices and critique.
P.S
Yeah, and this is resized for social networks...

Attached Images

12-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The juxtaposition of the ascending clouds and the stalwart lighthouse is superb. B&W an excellent decision. The one thing that can be improved is lightening up the area where the jetty and beach come together. It's somewhat blocky there.

Otherwise, this is a wonderful photograph that deserves to be printed big.

M
12-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
You mean the right corner? It will take me quite a bit of reading, cause i'm just trying out to post-process...
12-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Radzins Quote
You mean the right corner? It will take me quite a bit of reading, cause i'm just trying out to post-process...
Yes I do.
If you are new to post processing, I'd practice on much more simple images than this one for a long time. Lightening up that part of the image can be challenging for seasoned folks, and if you mess up it brings down the entire image. If you do work on this image, make a few backup copies first.

M

12-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

I thought that I'd have a try at this. Of course I'm just working with the Jpeg and Photoshop elements. When I lightened the pier it turned out to not have much detail but the Lighthouse benefited I added some contrast but may have overdone it. Anyway, I had fun trying.
Attached Images

12-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
I thought that I'd have a try at this. Of course I'm just working with the Jpeg and Photoshop elements. When I lightened the pier it turned out to not have much detail but the Lighthouse benefited I added some contrast but may have overdone it. Anyway, I had fun trying.

Thanks! Well it actually is jpeg file in original, maybe thats why it lacks details and i think I over sharpenned it as-well. It doenst look that bad on a small screen, but as soon as you look at it even on a 15" laptop screen it kinda sucks... need to read on sharpening too....
01-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Hi,
I like the picture. Especially how nice and contrasty the cloudfront is and also how for me it creates a line which my eyes follow through the picture. The glimmering relflections in the sea look also quite nice and enticing (nice, a bit metallic texture) although there seems to be some blurriness going around. Maybe jpeg related artifacts or something?

If you want to enhance the impact of the lighthouse in the picture, you might try cropping the top of the picture a bit and see how it looks (removing a bit of the clouds, making the lighthouse look more significant and balancing the sky with the sea more). This last one is highly subjective though as it depends on your artistic intent so see if you like it and go from there.

A quick note on personal experiences wrt. post processing. If you want to do a significant amount of post processing it's better to have the raw-files on hand (more detail and all that) as the in-camera jpeg engine may not always know what you had in mind. I also tend to have a long archive of originals sitting around on disk so that I can try and redo the post processing when I learn new tricks and generally improve in the craft. Couple of times I've gone back to pics that are a couple of years old and I never was really satisfied with and found that I finally knew what they lacked and how to do it.

There's lots to learn and discover wrt. post processing if you are interested on the topic, just try not to get overwhelmed and trust your own eyes first and foremost. If it looks better, it is.

Last edited by fromunderthebridge; 01-06-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: post-processing...
02-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #8

I took the liberty of doing a bit on this myself for explanation. Working with a tiny jpeg in CC is not ideal but you get the idea. I used a graduated filter on the sky to make it pop a bit more. Some dodging on the light house, and burning on the pier and background hills. A little median filter on the water since water rarely looks good sharp (you could've dragged the shutter a tad longer to accomplish this in camera) and upped the contrast. I wouldn't worry too much about clipped blacks. People here seem to have a real problem with deep rich blacks for some reason. Not every part of a photo needs to contain detail. It's acts like negative space. From reading here I get the idea that people think PP is something you shouldn't have to do much of. But remember guys in the film days would spend hours on PP of their film. Ansel Adams' moonrise over hernandez looked nothing on the negative like it did when printed. Part of the art is what you do with your files after the camera does it's work and oftentimes PP technique is what separates the wannabes from the players. Cheers on a nicely composed photo.
Attached Images

03-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

My dad Ronald Bourgaize was born in Guernsey and he has written 2 books. They have never been published and never will, but I have laid them out, printed them, and sewed/glued them together to make 12 for our family. Now we live in Canada and he is blind at 90 and records his memoirs on tape. I type them out and I am building his latest book "The Lure of the Sea" Would it be possible to have your permission to use this photo for the cover of his latest book?

Jackie Bourgaize
04-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JackieB Quote
My dad Ronald Bourgaize was born in Guernsey and he has written 2 books. They have never been published and never will, but I have laid them out, printed them, and sewed/glued them together to make 12 for our family. Now we live in Canada and he is blind at 90 and records his memoirs on tape. I type them out and I am building his latest book "The Lure of the Sea" Would it be possible to have your permission to use this photo for the cover of his latest book?

Jackie Bourgaize
Definately yes! I am happy that someone actually would use my photo in any way. Post a picture of the book later on to see how it looks. Thanks for apreciation and good luck with the book!
04-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

That's fantastic!

I will be uploading the book to a printing site Blurb.ca for our family to order bound copies. When I upload the book I will send you the link too.

I will be crediting you for the photo. Should I put Mr. Radzins or is there another name that you use?

Even though my dad is legally blind, he can see a bit out of the side of one eye and he really likes your image. Thanks very much.

Jackie
04-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #12

Thanks

Thanks so much!

I will be crediting you, should I put Mr. Radzins or would you like to use another name?

I will be uploading the book to a site Blurb.ca so that my family can order bound copies. I will send you the link too.

Even though my dad is legally blind, he can see your image a little bit out the side of one eye and he really likes it.

Thanks again.
Jackie
04-17-2015, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

I think the internet just proved its worth.
04-26-2015, 05:36 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JackieB Quote
Thanks so much!

I will be crediting you, should I put Mr. Radzins or would you like to use another name?

I will be uploading the book to a site Blurb.ca so that my family can order bound copies. I will send you the link too.

Even though my dad is legally blind, he can see your image a little bit out the side of one eye and he really likes it.

Thanks again.
Jackie
Wow, Thank you! Well. just write then my full name - Mihails Radzins.
Thanks again.

---------- Post added 04-26-15 at 05:45 AM ----------

BTW ic ould send you the original picture, resolution would definately be better. if so just send me your e-mail
04-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
Pam

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The juxtaposition of the ascending clouds and the stalwart lighthouse is superb. B&W an excellent decision.

M
Exactly! Nice shot!