Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two shots
ISO: 50 

I really like the reflections shot but then I look at it again & I think it has too much color. But then I like it again. The foliage was extremely brilliant and the sun was at just the right angle to saturate the color. What do you think?

On the B&W, I've not experimented much in B&W but the light was just so nice. It was a color shot I made into B&W. Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by joip; 01-13-2015 at 07:37 PM.
01-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, on the second image...
01-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's all just a matter of opinions, really. I like the colors in the first image very much, but I would like to see this image with the reflected trees in focus, rather than the ground and grasses.

I think the second image is fine, but a little high-contrast for my preference, especially for a scene that naturally has bright highlights and deep shadows, anyway (sunlight shining into a darkened room).
01-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

I like both images. A comment about the first, If I may. I realize you were shooting at 70 mm, but I think a wider angle of view would of been good here. Or, if it was possible, a slight shift in the composition. Would be nice to see the source of the reflection as well. (Trees I assume?). The colour contrast of the reflection off the water compared to the surrounding foilage is eye catching.

As for the second image. To my eyes, the black and white lends itself well to the image. Helps to convey the 'simpler times' mood that the image conveys (to me).

01-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Here's the original shot right from the camera. The top of it was so washed out, the branch was distracting and I couldn't make any adjustments that brought it together so I just cropped What would you have done with it?

Last edited by joip; 01-13-2015 at 07:37 PM.
01-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Thanks everyone!

Here's the original shot right from the camera. The top of it was so washed out, the branch was distracting and I couldn't make any adjustments that brought it together so I just cropped What would you have done with it?
Beautiful scene! I would have exposed for the treeline and moved myself to the right to get that sapling on the left out of the frame. I might have brought the shadows in post, but you would still have that bright, beautiful reflection in the water puddle.
01-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Beautiful scene! I would have exposed for the treeline and moved myself to the right to get that sapling on the left out of the frame. I might have brought the shadows in post, but you would still have that bright, beautiful reflection in the water puddle.
I was so captured by the reflection that I paid no attention to the rest of the shot and then when I saw it on the computer I knew I should have taken more time or more shots!

01-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
I was so captured by the reflection that I paid no attention to the rest of the shot and then when I saw it on the computer I knew I should have taken more time or more shots!
I find myself with the same problem, becoming fixated with the main point of interest, only to realize the distractions later. Keep taking those pictures..you're on the right track.
01-07-2015, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shutter Snappy Quote
I like both images. A comment about the first, If I may. I realize you were shooting at 70 mm, but I think a wider angle of view would of been good here. Or, if it was possible, a slight shift in the composition. Would be nice to see the source of the reflection as well. (Trees I assume?). The colour contrast of the reflection off the water compared to the surrounding foilage is eye catching.

As for the second image. To my eyes, the black and white lends itself well to the image. Helps to convey the 'simpler times' mood that the image conveys (to me).
Just a note to say that the shot was made with the widest aperture on the mounted lens. For the equipment used, I believe the photo is very good.

I get irritated when critiques devolve into what the author believes "should have been used." Accept the fact that the photographer used a zoom lens at widest setting and do not criticize the image on anything other than the available focal length.
01-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Just a note to say that the shot was made with the widest aperture on the mounted lens. For the equipment used, I believe the photo is very good.

I get irritated when critiques devolve into what the author believes "should have been used." Accept the fact that the photographer used a zoom lens at widest setting and do not criticize the image on anything other than the available focal length.
I realize I'm one of the new folks to this forum. As such, I was unawares that my comment would be the cause of irritation. I am sorry to have caused this, but it was not at all my intention. In the future I will be more diligent in my choice of words. It was never my intention to be off-putting in any of the comment I posted. Again...sorry about that.
01-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I realize I'm one of the new folks to this forum. As such, I was unawares that my comment would be the cause of irritation. I am sorry to have caused this, but it was not at all my intention. In the future I will be more diligent in my choice of words. It was never my intention to be off-putting in any of the comment I posted. Again...sorry about that.
No apology expected or required. I was just pointing out the EXIF data on the shot. Sometimes I am a GOM (grumpy old man).
01-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

...Sometimes I am a GOM (grumpy old man).
Aren't we all, from time to time?
01-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #13

No apology expected or required. I was just pointing out the EXIF data on the shot. Sometimes I am a GOM (grumpy old man).
I'm not an 'old man'..yet (although closer to 50 than 45). I can attest to the 'grumpy' part. It would of been remiss on my part to not apologize. That said, I certainly don't have hard feeling regarding this, and am grateful for your response.
01-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not an 'old man'..yet (although closer to 50 than 45). I can attest to the 'grumpy' part. It would of been remiss on my part to not apologize. That said, I certainly don't have hard feeling regarding this, and am grateful for your response.
As Gibbs says in the TV program NCIS: Don't apologize . . . But then his character is an ex Marine. Anyways, happy to have you posting and don't mind my occasional outbursts.
01-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One of the things I like best on this forum is the camaraderie and like Waterfall said "no apology expected or required." I know when I comment I come from a good place and if I didn't feel that from others I probably wouldn't be here. All comments are appreciated and please keep them coming. We are all here to share what we do & because we want to learn and grow into the best we can be (hopefully)