Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Playing in studio
Lens: Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 L Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Richmond, VT ISO: 200 

I was recently visiting a friend who has a small home studio set up. We spent an evening doing an impromptu photo shoot. I don't have any prior experience in studio, but it's something I'd like to learn, so I'm posting a few of my best shots from the session. I'd love to get some feedback on composition and lighting, what I could have done better. We had two constant lights, an umbrella for diffusion, as well as a flash (an AF200 FG with no wire or remote trigger capabilities, so I didn't use it much) and the fairy lights you see in the shots.

IMGP0271

01-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The second shot is my favorite because it is the most fun.

With studio lighting, i'd recommend pulling your lights farther from your subject. This way, there will be less falloff from the object nearest to the light to the objects farthest from the light. It makes the light feel more "even." It may mean you have to raise your ISO, but I think it is worth it.

Also, images tend to be more striking when you have some dark shadows. Your 4th image has nice darks, and it is the most aesthetically appealing shot to me.
01-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it easier to get people to pose if they are "playing" with costumes, props, etc?

Shots look candid, nice!
01-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The second shot is my favorite because it is the most fun.

With studio lighting, i'd recommend pulling your lights farther from your subject. This way, there will be less falloff from the object nearest to the light to the objects farthest from the light. It makes the light feel more "even." It may mean you have to raise your ISO, but I think it is worth it.

Also, images tend to be more striking when you have some dark shadows. Your 4th image has nice darks, and it is the most aesthetically appealing shot to me.
The second and fourth shot are my favourites too The room we were working in was pretty small, so there wasn't really any space to move the lights back, but thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 01:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
Is it easier to get people to pose if they are "playing" with costumes, props, etc?

Shots look candid, nice!
Thanks! I think it is, yeah. The girl in most pictures is a really great model though, she's incredibly comfortable in front of the camera

01-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also like 2 and 4 the best. And I would get rid of 5 and 6 - the light is not very flattering for the model.
« Newborn | Cutie Pie »