Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Snowy Egret
Lens: Sigma 18-250mm Camera: Kx Photo Location: SoCal ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F6.3 

This picture was taken with a Kx. If it had been taken with a K3 (same lens), what difference in quality would I have seen? All comments welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a Snowy Egret, not a heron. As far as the difference cameras, I really don't think it matters that much. I've shot many of these birds with my K-x. The best advice I can give for you is up you shutter speed and use a larger aperture. I use at least f8. And at least 1/500s.
01-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
This picture was taken with a Kx. If it had been taken with a K3 (same lens), what difference in quality would I have seen?
For web posting like this. . . not much.
A better lens, however, would have provided increased separation of the subject from the background, which to me makes a significant difference in artfulness (vs. straight ID), especially if you were able to shoot more wide open from a more angled perspective.

M
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Snowy Egret

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
This is a Snowy Egret, not a heron. As far as the difference cameras, I really don't think it matters that much. I've shot many of these birds with my K-x. The best advice I can give for you is up you shutter speed and use a larger aperture. I use at least f8. And at least 1/500s.
You are right about Snowy Egret, I must have been half asleep when I called it a Heron! My E-Wheel does not operate so I shoot in Auto most of the time and that is why I'm in the market for a new Camera (Have you ever tried to get a Pentax repaired with a serious problem?). It was dusk and light fading rapidly. ISO = 3200, 1/200, f6.3.
I think I'll settle on a K5iis (I'm a senior senior and on a fixed income). Even my best shots with PP still seem to lack that last little bit of pizass. (sharpness, resolution, definition or whatever)

01-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You are right about Snowy Egret, I must have been half asleep when I called it a Heron! My E-Wheel does not operate so I shoot in Auto most of the time and that is why I'm in the market for a new Camera (Have you ever tried to get a Pentax repaired with a serious problem?). It was dusk and light fading rapidly. ISO = 3200, 1/200, f6.3.
I think I'll settle on a K5iis (I'm a senior senior and on a fixed income). Even my best shots with PP still seem to lack that last little bit of pizass. (sharpness, resolution, definition or whatever)
Since you ask for comments, I will add mine; the picture appears too soft for my liking and there are could be several reasons.
-as you said, it was at dusk and light is diminishing by minutes... it is hard to get higher shutter speed (to freeze the action)
-you need high ISO and smaller aperture (although a larger aperture would allow a little lower ISO (to control shutter noise)
-the lens is not sharp (could be front-focus issue)

My feeling that you could have some issue with your lens; therefore, I don't think a new camera would give you better picture. Personally, I am NOT warmed up to super zooms since my newbie days; I sold all super-zooms. I could be wrong, unless of course you have taken sharper pictures using this lens, otherwise an upgrade to a newer/better camera may not give you what you want.

Last edited by aleonx3; 01-06-2015 at 10:18 PM.
01-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for your comments. This lens is not known for it's sharpness at it's extreme and that could be the problem but I'm still not convinced that a Kx gives as good an image as the later models do. Now I have to save the money to upgrade my broken camera.
Thanks all.
01-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

On your e wheel, did you try blowing the dust out? I have used a small squirt of CRC QD (Quick Drying) Electronics Cleaner on my K100D that the e wheel starting being erratic and that made it start working correctly again.

Oh and I corrected the title for you.
01-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot this one with my K-x:

So saying, it might be your lens not the camera.

01-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
On your e wheel, did you try blowing the dust out? I have used a small squirt of CRC QD (Quick Drying) Electronics Cleaner on my K100D that the e wheel starting being erratic and that made it start working correctly again.

Oh and I corrected the title for you.
Thanks for the correction and the suggestion. I have sent the camera to Eric in Tenn. (highly recommended in Pentax Forum) and he cleaned camera but sent it back saying that he couldn't fix the E-Wheel. I sent it to my local repair shop (they used to be Pentax Repair Station). He said he would have to order part from Japan but wasn't sure what part but he would disassemble camera and compare parts to schematic. No price or time estimate. I elected not to do that and use it on Auto most of the time while I save for a new camera. I could buy a K50 or wait a little and buy a K5iis. Any suggestions?
Your photo of a Snowy Egret is certainly sharp! Thanks!
01-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the settings I used on that shot:

Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 300 mm
ISO 400

The lens was a Sigma 70-300mm Non DG APO Macro. I kept it set on the Macro option always.
01-10-2015, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Being on a limited budget, I would search the marketplace here for good, used, low mileage K5 and glass that's better than what you already have. Auto mode will only get you so far. What lens are you currently using?

If it had been taken with a K3
This was with the K3 and DA300* at sun-down. Just posting to answer your first question.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 01-10-2015 at 02:09 AM.