Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Clouds over Etna
Lens: Samyang 14mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Etna ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/250s 

I usually work in black and white so this is interesting. I decided to leave the colors in due to the blue sky and yellow weeds. I'd like to ask opinions on the use of color vs b&w and the use of dynamic range (highlights vs shadows). Also any comments on the remaining "washed out" look of the picture and ideas on improving it?

The original negative was a technically sub-par performance from me (atmospheric haze, likely a dusty lens due to drugding through windy, dusty conditions the whole day and consipicious lens flare) leading to hefty cropping of the picture. It kinda bugs me as I do like the partly lenticular clouds and their luminous nature as well as the rounded shapes of the slopes (subject matter good, camera work mediocre).

Last edited by fromunderthebridge; 10-30-2016 at 09:15 AM.
01-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the photo is quite good. I really like this kind of style, full of detail, nice colours but not oversaturated, shows a wide area with no single, central subject. I think I prefer the colour version over black and white in this case. I think the photo might look good in 16:9 crop, with the top blue sky removed. This would make the viewer feel like there is less empty space, and would give a cinematic, panorama feel to the photo. Good use of ultra wide angle
But since this is in the critique forum, I will give the standard critique. The photo could be brighter, especially the bottom part. There could be a foreground or some point of interest, a subject and leading lines, maybe even rule of thirds. White balance might be a little off, maybe too purple and orange. I notice you input 15mm as lens focal length, since you cannot choose 14mm. You should choose the nearest wider focal length (12mm), so the SR will undercompensate, rather than overcompensate and introduce blur (at least, that is what I was told, and that is what I do with my Samyang 14mm)
01-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

Everyone sees things a little differently. As an example, I like pictures a little more saturated than Na Horuk. I darkened the sky a little and added a smidge of contrast. The landmass, I lightened a little, some areas more that others. I tried to make the light itself and how it falls on the land the subject. I don't have Lightroom and was dealing with Jpeg so some evidence of my editing shows, please excuse.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

OOPS! I uploaded the wrong photo. The proper one has the reddish cast removed. Sorry!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk and OldGeaser for the comments.

Na Horuk, I see what you mean wrt. cropping. Cropping the top could make the picture more effective. I also agree with the shadows as well as the compositional comments. The shadows could use opening up a bit to bring out the details and contrast (I figure that in black and white I could get away with deeper shadows, which is exactly one of the reasons I asked ). The color casts are a bit difficult to me, my wife always has fun time poking at my color vision .

OldGeaser, an interesting take on the picture. I kinda like the more saturated yellows on the ground (the yellows also open up the shadow areas, which is a plus). Thanks for the input!