Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
2 Trains and Bridges
Lens: Pentax 18-135 Camera: K50 Photo Location: Beamsville, Ontario, Canada ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 

Hi, I had the opportunity to photograph a model train layout on the weekend, this is one of the shots. I handheld a flash to the right of the camera with a 1/2 cto filter, and added the smoke. Does this look realistic? I'm pleased, but I'm biased!

Thanks.

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 01-24-2016 at 03:14 PM.
02-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice use of perspective.
02-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Does this look realistic?
IMHO if you pull back the vibrance and the saturation sliders and a slight tweak to the WB, it looks more believable.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-03-2015 at 12:11 PM.
02-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great composition, and I bet a print of this would look great! But no, it doesn't look realistic to me. And that's a good thing in this case. I love those 60s/70s style drawings/paintings, which is what this looks like.

02-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Some of the things which make it not look realistic is not in your hands such as the specular sky, the shading of the sky, the very steep and rain-weathered volcanic mountain in the foreground with not-so-steep glacial-weathered mountains in the back, that very bright white pole in the rock on the bottom left, man oblivious to train standing in a valley fishing in a lake with a fishing line as thick as a fishing pole, etc.

Your flash also looks too harsh. Too much specular reflections in the front left of the image. Try a strong, heavily diffused light (powerful flash, big reflector) and closer to the direction from which the sky suggests the sun is coming. (The strobe has to overpower the ambient lighting to some extent). Granted, this may not have been possible under the circumstances but you could have used whatever existing backdrop was to the right of frame to reflect the light or ask someone in a white shirt to stand there.

Also, for more realistic smoke/steam, use Blender with Cycles (or similar app, Maya, etc.), to create the smoke and superimpose. These apps can set your perspective and focus just right by matching the virtual camera and camera position, exposure and aperture, lighting, etc., to your real scene so you do not get focused smoke over a blurry train or left-lighted smoke in a right-lighted scene. If necessary, you can also add tree-shadows, etc (by setting an invisible tree which casts visible shadows), which will also have appropriate focus blur, etc.

Yes, perfection takes a lot of time and effort but the picture looks great as it is, kinda Rockwellian.

PS., if possible, lose the fisherman.

Last edited by Logics; 02-04-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: changed, "clouds" to "smoke/steam"
02-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. Logics, I'll look into those apps, never heard of them before, but that is what this is all about.
02-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, it's way too yellow. I toned it down a bit; hope you don't mind.

I really like the composition! Great job! Nice catch to include the fisherman and his dog, also!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by csa; 02-05-2015 at 12:49 PM.
02-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
To me, it's way too yellow. I toned it down a bit; hope you don't mind.

I really like the composition! Great job! Nice catch to include the fisherman and his dog, also!
Thanks, you're probably right about the colour. As the fisherman was part of the set up, i felt he should be included.

Tuggie76
02-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks, you're probably right about the colour. As the fisherman was part of the set up, i felt he should be included.

Tuggie76
Tuggie,
Nicely done D&RGW narrow gauge. My only other suggestion would be some shadow work on the foreground locomotive drive wheels, linkage rods, etc. Difficult area to light I'm sure. BTW, were these HOn3, Sn3, or On3 gauge vintage brass models?
02-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Tuggie,
Nicely done D&RGW narrow gauge. My only other suggestion would be some shadow work on the foreground locomotive drive wheels, linkage rods, etc. Difficult area to light I'm sure. BTW, were these HOn3, Sn3, or On3 gauge vintage brass models?
Thanks Luk. I don't know the answer to that, but I'll try to find out.

Tuggie76
02-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Tuggie,
Hi again, I contacted the engineer and they are On3 gauge.

Tuggie76
02-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hi again, I contacted the engineer and they are On3 gauge.

Tuggie76
A very expensive hobby if one isn't scratchbuilding. Thanks and good to see your work.
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like the pic but I thought it was a painting until I read your words.