Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

Twin Falls (Silver Falls)
Lens: Pentax HD Ltd 20-40 f/2.8-4 Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: Silver Falls trail, OR ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F8 

One of the captures from my last weekend hike of the Silver Falls loop. The light was a little better than last time I was there since it was later in the day and overcast. I like how this one turned out but I would appreciate any comments.

Last edited by voy-tech; 02-03-2015 at 12:23 PM.
02-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture of the water and strong composition. The image is a little flat looking. It could use a bit more contrast and saturation. A simple curve layer would do wonders.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 02-03-2015 at 12:35 PM.
02-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks like a fantastic park that I'll have to check out next time I'm down there.

The textures of the surrounding rockfaces are nicely detailed and sharp.

I think a wider field of view would benefit this shot and get it past the "look it's a waterfall" snapshot. The bottom of the falls seems too cramped; I like to follow the flow a bit more and see the surroundings. Of course there could be a safety rail and all that hardware right there, but if it's not then an expanded view would help. A wider angle would also show more of the curved rock and surrounding forest which, if they are anything similar to the Columbia Gorge, are visually interesting.

M
02-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
@atupdate - thanks for the suggestion, although your edit looks a little overdone to me but than again it's an edit of a jpeg, i'll see how it will look with some curves modifications to the original raw after i get back from work

@Miguel - yes it is a fantastic hike, this was my second time there and I must say that now in the winter/spring season it's nicer than in the summer (when I was there last time), the water level is higher so the waterfalls have more volume, and there are fewer people - it's a very very popular hike on a summer weekend. Now regarding the feedback from this vantage point i don't think a wider angle would add much (and this was actually at the widest I had on hand), that said I do think that a 10mm lens could allow for a very nice capture from the bottom of the waterfall, but unfortunately I'm yet to buy one of those, so i was basically limited to my Ltd 20-40mm and a 50mm prime.

02-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

I thought the exposure captured way too much unnecessary details in the rocks and the very uninteresting pool at the bottom.

It is a gorge of some sort covered by greenery, tucked away from it all. This looks like a waterfall bathed in sunlight (and maybe it is). I think an exposure for the the very top area where the first falls is (which to me looks slightly overexposed) would be nice with the bottom pool edging towards zone III or II into shadow.

I like what @atupdate did to it but I feel the top in his take is still too bright (but to each his own). Adams taught us how to capture all the details from highlight to shadow if we wanted but detail is not always desirable.
02-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Logics Quote
I thought the exposure captured way too much unnecessary details in the rocks and the very uninteresting pool at the bottom.

It is a gorge of some sort covered by greenery, tucked away from it all. This looks like a waterfall bathed in sunlight (and maybe it is). I think an exposure for the the very top area where the first falls is (which to me looks slightly overexposed) would be nice with the bottom pool edging towards zone III or II into shadow.

I like what @atupdate did to it but I feel the top in his take is still too bright (but to each his own). Adams taught us how to capture all the details from highlight to shadow if we wanted but detail is not always desirable.
Thanks @Logics - interesting approach I should be able to do what you mention regarding zone system in the post-processing, i'll need some free time to experiment that way though, but very interesting feedback. It was an overcast day so there is no direct sunlight, however due to the limited light available at the bottom of the waterfall well lit top of it I did stitch multiple exposures into a HDR to get most out of it (I actually think of HDR as a modern extension of Adams zone system, i find it very useful for shooting landscapes).
02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd also like to see more context, depending on what that context is. It's a nice falls but it might make a better photo to be an element in a nice composition rather than filling much of the frame.
But that's also a matter of taste, it's a nice shot but I think more context would make it nicer.