Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Boardwalk Arcade
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Camera: K100D Super ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F5.6 

I know NOW to use a tripod for a photo like this, as well as shooting in RAW. (This was a JPEG.) Is there anything in post-processing you would suggest for this photo? I plan to edit out the small piece of brown trim above the "KE" in "Skee."

Any other thoughts welcome! Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
02-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This shot brings back a few fine memories. When I was a kid, my father had a habit of taking me to sleazy arcades to hang out. Skee ball was my favorite activity, maybe because it seems like it took some skill, rather than luck, to achieve something.

Now the shot: While I like the sense of symmetry and the bright neon color, the shot leaves me a bit frustrated. One thing is the perspective, the angle just doesn't sync with the place to me. Skee ball is a dead on center game. More importantly, the shot is way too static. While I'm sure the days of frequent frenzied activity are over, perhaps a lone rolled ball captured in mid-flight would have added a whole 'nother dimension to this shot.

This seems like a fruitful place to shoot.

Hope this helps.

M
02-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
This shot brings back a few fine memories. When I was a kid, my father had a habit of taking me to sleazy arcades to hang out. Skee ball was my favorite activity, maybe because it seems like it took some skill, rather than luck, to achieve something.

Now the shot: While I like the sense of symmetry and the bright neon color, the shot leaves me a bit frustrated. One thing is the perspective, the angle just doesn't sync with the place to me. Skee ball is a dead on center game. More importantly, the shot is way too static. While I'm sure the days of frequent frenzied activity are over, perhaps a lone rolled ball captured in mid-flight would have added a whole 'nother dimension to this shot.

This seems like a fruitful place to shoot.

Hope this helps.

M
Thanks, Miguel! I appreciate your comments and taking the time to provide them. I never considered the perspective and motion (or lack thereof) for this shot.
02-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #4

It is a great subject and deserves some more playing around with if it is something you can return to. The perspective doesn't bother me. I think is us useful in that the angles convey some motion or tension which is appropriate for this subject.

I think the viewer may be torn a little by the pull of both the bright sign and the pull do the row of targets. It seems like both are the subject but neither is dominate. It leaves me going back and forth.

02-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
It is a great subject and deserves some more playing around with if it is something you can return to. The perspective doesn't bother me. I think is us useful in that the angles convey some motion or tension which is appropriate for this subject.

I think the viewer may be torn a little by the pull of both the bright sign and the pull do the row of targets. It seems like both are the subject but neither is dominate. It leaves me going back and forth.
Thanks, TedW. The location isn't near me, but we usually hit a place with a boardwalk arcade once a year. I'll have to try out different types of shots in the future.
02-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kriss

As said this needs some motion, now it is somehow boring.
But that neon sign is great and it is exposed right and it saves this shot alot.

LeGuillotine
02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

What it is missing is a focal point. The neon is the strongest focal point but there is a lot of clutter to the left of it. I think the composition is stronger if you go with an 8"x10" crop.

Tim
02-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Skip the tripod, just up your ISO to 400 and that 1/20 would be a 1/40second shot and you should overcome any shake easily at 18mm.

I *was* going to suggest a higher ISO, but I'm not sure where the upper limits are for a K100D before you were living a life of noise.

03-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
Hi Kriss

As said this needs some motion, now it is somehow boring.
But that neon sign is great and it is exposed right and it saves this shot alot.

LeGuillotine
Thanks, LeGuillotine.

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
What it is missing is a focal point. The neon is the strongest focal point but there is a lot of clutter to the left of it. I think the composition is stronger if you go with an 8"x10" crop.

Tim
Thanks....I hadn't considered cropping.

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 08:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Skip the tripod, just up your ISO to 400 and that 1/20 would be a 1/40second shot and you should overcome any shake easily at 18mm.

I *was* going to suggest a higher ISO, but I'm not sure where the upper limits are for a K100D before you were living a life of noise.
Appreciate the input, Sagitta. I don't recall where it got really noisy; I'll have to go through old pics to find out. Then again, not really an issue now (or as much of one) since I got the K-50. Although I should discover my max for noise there!