Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How would you improve this?
Lens: 60-250 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Quebec city ISO: 50 

Here is a picture I took recently. I think there's something there, and I like the result, however I feel it could probably be improved somehow. I'm willing to listen to suggestions!

02-27-2015, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I think it is all about the crop. For me, the story is how hard the boy is trying and not how far up the rings go.

Tim
02-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I feel it could probably be improved somehow. I'm willing to listen to suggestions!
Take the picture looking down the ring straps as the point of view with the straps angled at a diagonal going left to right to give a feeling of tension and struggle. Capture the faces of each person in the shot with the boy's face in focus and near the center of the frame with the adult's face perhaps out of focus and offset in the upper RH corner all while both are looking up at the camera.
02-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Increase brightness and contrast to make it feel more high key, like a special moment. Split toning could help, too

03-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks all for the comments.

I'm not sure I prefer the closer crop, to me the large scale brings out the smallness of the boy.

changing my point of view was not an option at the time, sadly.

I'll try to play with exposure some more.

Thanks again!
03-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

I'm curious as to your ISO setting. In your post it says ISO 50. Can the K-3 go that low? I thought it was only down to 100?
03-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Take the picture looking down the ring straps as the point of view with the straps angled at a diagonal going left to right to give a feeling of tension and struggle. Capture the faces of each person in the shot with the boy's face in focus and near the center of the frame with the adult's face perhaps out of focus and offset in the upper RH corner all while both are looking up at the camera.
Diaganal like this?

Attached Images

03-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #8

I'm not sure if you get this opportunity again in the future but here are my thoughts. Whenever a subject is trying to go from one place to another you need to have that negative space in front of your subject in order to express that. Hence why the crop doesn't work. The shot is what it is now and can't be saved with a crop because subjects are too close to center; But, if shot again, put the boy and the spotter down tighter to the bottom left corner. This allows more of the straps to be present in the shot and the sense of height and negative space to be more prevalent. Your eye starts on the boy and travels up the straps creating the tension. As a bonus, the dark straps on the light wall creates a contrast that catches the eye and carries it along the image. Secondly, the "hero" of an image is almost always pictured from a low angle up creating a sense of power and prestige. So a shot from down on the floor angled up slightly would've been more dramatic. Shooting down on someone has a tendency to minimise their importance. Which is obviously not what you're going for here. Cheers.
03-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
thanks all for the comments.

I'm not sure I prefer the closer crop, to me the large scale brings out the smallness of the boy.

changing my point of view was not an option at the time, sadly.

I'll try to play with exposure some more.

Thanks again!
To emphasize smallness I would want to shoot from below looking up instead.
From this angle it makes more sense to focus on the boy's efforts as posted by @atupdate.
04-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

I like both corps. I think the viewer understands that the straps go up very high. I like closer because it captures more of the facial expressions.
04-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Roughly this?

Last edited by wildman; 04-10-2015 at 06:42 AM.
04-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have troubles with the upper part of the pic. There is something on the wall at top right corner and it distracts the view.
I think that it is worth to try to remove it. Also I will shorten a little from the top. The white part of the wall is also somehow distracting.