Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 04:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Suggestions for composition and POV
Lens: Pentax 18-135 WR F3.5-5.6 Camera: Pentax K30 Photo Location: Pittsburgh, PA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F10 

I grabbed this sunset last night downtown after a snow storm. I'm just having a hard time deciding if the bridge in the foreground works well or takes away from the city. It's not an attractive bridge by any means, which is why I'm not extremely happy. In my mind, the bridge I was shooting from was higher, so I wouldn't be so much looking "up" at the city as I am here. By the time I got set up and realized my POV was off, I didn't have enough time to switch locations.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

2 minute exposure, fyi

03-06-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a big fan of the bridge. I would Google Image Pittsburgh skyline and you should be able to find a better spot to shoot from.

Tim
03-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by TimPGH Quote
I grabbed this sunset last night downtown after a snow storm. I'm just having a hard time deciding if the bridge in the foreground works well or takes away from the city. It's not an attractive bridge by any means, which is why I'm not extremely happy. In my mind, the bridge I was shooting from was higher, so I wouldn't be so much looking "up" at the city as I am here. By the time I got set up and realized my POV was off, I didn't have enough time to switch locations.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

2 minute exposure, fyi
For me, the bridge is more than a distraction--it's covering the city/skyline almost totally at one point. Your thought was good in that if you had been higher, the bridge's location would have been ok. At least you went out for pics! I only took a few from my yard. Maybe today....
03-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bridges like that are funny - had you waited 30 minutes it would have been a much more powerful shot, as the bridge would have been illuminated with traffic and deck lighting and would have worked well as the subject. You definitely would have benefited from a higher vantage point.

03-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I'm not a big fan of the bridge. I would Google Image Pittsburgh skyline and you should be able to find a better spot to shoot from.

Tim
I know of a few places that might be better, so hopefully we can get a few more nice skies before my work picks back up again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
For me, the bridge is more than a distraction--it's covering the city/skyline almost totally at one point. Your thought was good in that if you had been higher, the bridge's location would have been ok. At least you went out for pics! I only took a few from my yard. Maybe today....
I wish I would have been able to climb up the arch of the bridge I was shooting from...it would have been more than high enough!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Bridges like that are funny - had you waited 30 minutes it would have been a much more powerful shot, as the bridge would have been illuminated with traffic and deck lighting and would have worked well as the subject. You definitely would have benefited from a higher vantage point.
Hmm...I hadn't though of that...maybe some evening after dark I'll return and see what it looks like. Good idea!