Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My first Macro shots. Technique/PP suggestions please.
Lens: Kiron 105mm F2.8 Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Reno ISO: 100 

Hello all,

Today I tried to shoot some macro shots for the first time and I think they turned out just OK. For some reason I can't get the flowers to "pop" like those nice flower macros on Flickr/500px. These are jpegs directly out of my K-3. Any suggestions to improve my technique? Any suggestions on post processing?

Thank you all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are not bad. The focus point is not very clear on most, maybe increase DOF a bit, of use a tripod if you didn't. Playing with clarity in Lightroom and tweaking contrast is a way to get things to pop as you say. I think a slight increase in brightness would help too. And maybe a side light, with a remote flash, in some cases.

the first is my favourite but I think there's too much negative space in the top.
03-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

First, I'd not use jpeg because the file format is compressed and it then becomes harder to saturate, de-saturate various colors, just to name one of many features lost in jpeg. Learn how to manipulate the photo in RAW mode.

Secondly, the image seems flat because you have little difference in exposure of the flower and background. For me, I try to have a different exposure of the flower (brighter) than background (darker) by some measure of F, let's say 1/2 F stop. Or, you may chose to have the background over-exposed and proper exposure on the flower. How you achieve this? Use a reflective card (white foam board) to punch light into the flower or maybe add just a touch of fill flash. Actually there are many ways to offset the object and background and that's where your creativity come into play.

Composition as mentioned, you can shoot with a bigger area than you really want, then crop using rule of thirds or whatever else you wish to try. Having some working room to crop is a big plus, especially with today's uber megapixel cameras.

Lastly, time practicing and create your own style. Have fun!