Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The greatest tree :)
Lens: Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.0 DC Camera: Pentax K30 Photo Location: Wanaka - New Zealand ISO: 50 

These images were created in New Zealand / Wanaka 1 year ago. They are completely unedited with not a single thing which only confirms the beauty of New Zealand . The "greener" ones are just during the day and the red ones are on the next morning !

What do you think looks best ? What do you think I could have done better ?

I personally think I just did something wrong with the polarizing filter... The dark , nearly black blue isnt what I was wanting when I took this, but on the Pentax K30 it didnt look quite like this I was so excited to see this beautiful scene I totally forgot to turn the polarizing filter .

Attached Images

Last edited by LucaBumble; 03-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.
03-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the last one--except I would crop the left side--so it is a square image (the subject is after all the tree). The dark tree and the pebbles/water in the foreground leading to the tree, and the more natural sky framing it are (for me!) less artificial/trying to be "arty" looking.

Be careful about making the picture level--the background shoreline on the right side should be horizontal. The PL filter tends to give nonuniform sky with wider FL--and may reduce the highlights of reflected light on the water. Often best to first take a shot w/o PL and then maybe with.

And immediately above the tree you have an indication of dust on the sensor--clone it out on the picture and use a jet blower to clean the sensor.

Last edited by dms; 03-14-2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added comment about dust
03-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice shot. The tree in the foreground makes the background more striking. Thanks for sharing it. Nicely done!
03-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

I like the last one as well but would completely disagree with cropping to make it square. I think it is still the subject right where it is. Love it!!

03-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
And immediately above the tree you have an indication of dust on the sensor--clone it out on the picture and use a jet blower to clean the sensor.
I know this issue Unfortunately it doesnt go out if I do that .
I never did square images... I don't know why, but I just like the normal 4:3 or 16:9 best .... But I'll see how it looks.

@Pentaxrev Thank you a lot ! if you could tell me which one you like most I'd appreciate it

@jgblodgett Thank you !!

@all what do you think is the reason most of you like the last one most ?
03-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

i cant tell which one i like most ! but you really should get the dust away
03-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

For me the second one is hands down the best of the series, on the others i don't notice the magnificent hills in the background, but the second one brings my eyes there immediately, some post processing would make it a perfect image - you could devignette the black-ish sky caused by polarization in the top right corner (but again I don't think it breaks anything) and I would probably crop the bottom a little so that it starts with the ground and the tree without the portion of the pool.

03-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you a lot voytech I'll try that !
03-16-2015, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #9

I like #3 because all of the elements are there in proper proportion. The mountains in the background, the trees on the left and the subject tree looking very natural anchored on the little island. Beautiful tree, water and sky. I do think that if you are going to display this then it needs a little pop. Some might say over processed but it needs that on a wall, IMHO.
Attached Images

03-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
#3 but try cropping that tall tree on the left border, it stops the eye from moving easily along the tops of the other trees which lead to the main interest of the photo. Don't forget everybody sees these things differently, some ideas you find pleasing others you don't.
Regardless of everything else that's a great tree.