Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
English
Lens: FA 43mm Limited Camera: K3 Photo Location: Edmonton's Nair Studios ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F8 

black and white

color

I straight up dislike this model, tried so hard to get emotion out of her, but she just seemed pissed off to be there. Second time I've shot her too, and same kinda thing. She came to me too, so I figure she must at least like me. Anyways, I just did what I could with her pose and facial expression and used more of the light and processing to try and "save" the session. the B&W is my preferred shot.

p.s. forgot the change the category to Portrait. :P

03-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it came out great. B&W is so dramatic in many ways. Perfect, imo.
03-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The colors are well done, but the B&W is my preference. Sorry to hear about the model, she is photogenic.
03-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a hard shot with her in white against a dark back ground. I think the light might have been too small/hard. Her left shoulder has a glow from the light/high contrast and there is artifact running down her right side all the way to the box she is sitting on. Did you use a brush to smooth out the background? Her hair also show signs of brushing and smoothing. What size was your light source and how far was it from the subject? Might try a light behind the subject or a background light. It's hard to get the subject separation with a 43mm lens at F/8.

For a larger print the glow on the shoulder and artifact would definitely show up.

03-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You should eb happy that she was pissed off, the photo shows lot's of emotion.
And the B&W one is the best, it really brings out the emotion. the color one is a bit dull
03-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It's a hard shot with her in white against a dark back ground. I think the light might have been too small/hard. Her left shoulder has a glow from the light/high contrast and there is artifact running down her right side all the way to the box she is sitting on. Did you use a brush to smooth out the background? Her hair also show signs of brushing and smoothing. What size was your light source and how far was it from the subject? Might try a light behind the subject or a background light. It's hard to get the subject separation with a 43mm lens at F/8.

For a larger print the glow on the shoulder and artifact would definitely show up.

yes, the artifact is very distracting.

The backdrop is painted foam core, so I used the "skin softening" feature of NIK software to blur it out. Then used a layer mask to try and only blur the backdrop. I don't remember doing it...but looking at it I figure I probably went in with a paintbrush and painted in some of the grey too, probably that's why her hairs a bit messed up. Or maybe the crease between the two boards when I was cloning.

As for lighting, we got a 100cm Deepthroat Octabox on camera left with the bulb just above her head and the box angling down. I have another 40cm softbox directly above her.
03-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know the size of your studio or what is possible with your setup, but pulling her away from that background a few feet and shooting her at F/4 - 5.6 should help melt the background away with out brushing. I think you have her too close to the background and that is causing a couple of problems.

03-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She's a tiny studio unfortunately. Smallest I've worked in. I was butted up right against a wall with the 43 to get this shot.