Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lyrebird, Mexico City
Lens: Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens Camera: Panasonic GH4 Photo Location: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/240880/P1120985-1.jpg ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F2.8 

Was lucky enough to get up close to one of these on a recent trip to Mexico City. I was pretty happy with the shot I managed to get, but would love a bit of constructive criticism. (Note this has been processed slightly, if memory serves me I fiddled with the vibrance and contrast a little, and added a slight vignette)

Cheers!

EDIT: Embedded lower res version of the image.

EDIT: SORRY! It's a Peacock, not a Lyrebird. Thanks to /u/rawr and /u/pete-tarmigan for pointing out my error.

Last edited by watchingskyfallatm; 03-19-2015 at 10:25 PM.
03-19-2015, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
photo location means area it was taken in, not the http site.

Read here first:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-pho...tart-here.html
03-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
photo location means area it was taken in, not the http site.

Read here first:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-pho...tart-here.html
oops - my bad! Have just embedded instead, thanks.
03-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're welcome!

03-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that's just a peacock, not a lyrebird.

Lyrebird's are sometimes seen near where I live. They don't look like the bird in your image at all.
03-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote
Was lucky enough to get up close to one of these on a recent trip to Mexico City. I was pretty happy with the shot I managed to get, but would love a bit of constructive criticism. (Note this has been processed slightly, if memory serves me I fiddled with the vibrance and contrast a little, and added a slight vignette)
Definitely a blue/Indian peafowl (Pavo cristatus), male (peacock). The lyrebirds (Menura novaehollandiae and M. alberti) don't have iridescent blue and, in the wild, are endemic to Australia. Peafowl (native to India) have been domesticated and are kept widely across the world as alarm systems (much louder than any dog) and as ornamental pets. I don't think either of the lyrebird species have been domesticated and exported for bird fanciers.
03-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm pretty sure that's just a peacock, not a lyrebird.

Lyrebird's are sometimes seen near where I live. They don't look like the bird in your image at all.
My bad!

---------- Post added 03-20-15 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Definitely a blue/Indian peafowl (Pavo cristatus), male (peacock). The lyrebirds (Menura novaehollandiae and M. alberti) don't have iridescent blue and, in the wild, are endemic to Australia. Peafowl (native to India) have been domesticated and are kept widely across the world as alarm systems (much louder than any dog) and as ornamental pets. I don't think either of the lyrebird species have been domesticated and exported for bird fanciers.
That's interesting - thanks for the info! Apparently I got my birds-with-long-and-awesome-tails mixed up.

03-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote

Cheers!

EDIT: Embedded lower res version of the image.

EDIT: SORRY! It's a Peacock, not a Lyrebird. Thanks to /u/rawr and /u/pete-tarmigan for pointing out my error.
wow really nice shoot.. like it