Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My First Submissions
Photo Location: Various ISO: 50 

These were taken with my old Canon super-zoom before I acquired my K-5IIs. I appreciate the quality isn't what it could be with the Pentax. However, I wanted to get some critique. I hope I have not transgressed by posting non-Pentax photos.

Thank you for your thoughts and consideration.

Untold Story

Back Alley

Lonely Chapel

Monument Valley

Catamount

West Texas

Trailer Park

03-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like your composition. Some of them don't look very sharp to be but the overall effect is great. Very film-like.
03-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the last one of the trailers park. Several of them seem to be tilted one way or another.
03-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I like your composition. Some of them don't look very sharp to be but the overall effect is great. Very film-like.
Thanks for the kind words. I'll chalk some of the lack of sharpness up to the photographer and some up to the old Canon super-zoom.

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I really like the last one of the trailers park. Several of them seem to be tilted one way or another.
Yes, they are tilting this way and that. This old trailer park is on the road heading south from Watkins Glen, NY. I knew when I took the shot that it cried to be in b&w. When I saw this place I actually pulled the RV over to the side of the road to take the picture.

03-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AggieDad,

Welcome aboard. You seem to be well traveled. I have driven past that trailer park several times. Hopefully you stopped and took in Watkins Glen State Park. Tons of photos as you walk the trail. The Finger Lake region in central NY is a pretty nice place to visit. The Iroquois had a legend that the lakes are the result of God placing his hand upon the land. I have a hard time disagreeing with them. Believe it or not, there is a Naval base on Seneca Lake.
03-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
These were taken with my old Canon super-zoom before I acquired my K-5IIs. I appreciate the quality isn't what it could be with the Pentax. However, I wanted to get some critique. I hope I have not transgressed by posting non-Pentax photos.

Thank you for your thoughts and consideration.

Untold Story

Back Alley

Lonely Chapel

Monument Valley

Catamount

West Texas

Trailer Park
Nice compositions, although I don't care for the grainy - film-like look, especially the alley looks like the processing was over-done towards that look (at least in my opinion). I like the negative space of west texas. And the last one with the trailer park look a little like you went overboard with shadow recovery or hdr to me.
03-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the Comments

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
AggieDad,

Welcome aboard. You seem to be well traveled. I have driven past that trailer park several times. Hopefully you stopped and took in Watkins Glen State Park. Tons of photos as you walk the trail. The Finger Lake region in central NY is a pretty nice place to visit. The Iroquois had a legend that the lakes are the result of God placing his hand upon the land. I have a hard time disagreeing with them. Believe it or not, there is a Naval base on Seneca Lake.
gaweidert - We do travel a bit as we have an RV and we're retired. You bet we did Watkins Glen (from the top down - no fool, I). My first time to the Finger Lakes region was when my brother was at Cornell ("high above Cayuga's waters") back in the early 1950's when I was about 12. We went over to Watkins Glen at race time, The race(s) were still on public roads at that time and curbsides were being used as pits. It was a day or two before the actual race, but we did see cars heading out for practice runs.

QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
Nice compositions, although I don't care for the grainy - film-like look, especially the alley looks like the processing was over-done towards that look (at least in my opinion). I like the negative space of west texas. And the last one with the trailer park look a little like you went overboard with shadow recovery or hdr to me.
Voy-Tech - Yes I did go for a grainy look on the alley shot - maybe too much. But I actually did very little to the trailer park. It simply is what it is. I probably over processed several of the photos as I was working with new software (Tonality Pro) and was totally enamored with it. Thank you for mentioning West Texas as it is a favorite of mine.

I appreciate all the comments. I am a total novice, working to move from snapshots to photographs. That is why I now own my Pentax with a couple of lenses and the Canon super-zoom has been sent to my son-in-law.

03-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aggie-Dad, no critique here, I like them all, however, Monument Valley stands out in the impact area for me. Great pic. TFS Cliff
03-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I really like your compositions. You definitely have a good eye for photos and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I grew up in West Texas and wish I could go back more often and take a lot of photos.