Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CC please
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K50 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F10 

Thoughts or CC please.
Thanks

Last edited by Another dyemention; 08-05-2017 at 12:47 PM.
04-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see more foreground, about 2/3 of the image. Possibly the most interesting part is the mirror image indicated and the other object circled is distracting. I kinda like the PP. All that said, "I am not an expert".
04-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gotcha. I'll try it cropped that way. I look at the picture and the birdhouse is the focus for me. I never thought about the reflection of the trees being the focal point. But now that you mention it, I think it'll look better that way. So thanks.
04-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You know, I think that picture looks very different in better light and with a warmer WB--I could imagine conditions where the thatch of the duck's nest "pops" out of the background. Of course, if you're a rambler like me, the chances of you and that light intersecting at a given point in time is pretty low.

One other thing you might think about is using a longer focal length to collapse the planes of the picture and to bring the nest (if that's your "point of interest") into the foreground--a 70mm FL and a three or four shot pano might be give interesting results. You might look up some of the pictures that baro-nite has posted on PF...he's got some of a cypress swamp that might be food for thought.

04-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I totally agree about the light. I was actually just going for a walk with my wife when I took this. My camera was in the car from earlier that morning so I brought it on the walk. I literally just snapped this as we were walking past. I think it was around 4:00 so the light wasn't doing me any help. I really had no intentions of even processing any of the shots from that day. Just kinda scoping out the area with intentions of going back in the evening with some primes and a lot more time. The sun would be setting directly to my right so it'd be perfect. There's even an open field to the right so the sun won't be obstructed by trees. I'll definitely head back and retake this with a longer FL and edit it with much warmer WB.

---------- Post added 04-05-15 at 07:41 AM ----------

And I'll check out those pictures you mentioned. Thanks
04-05-2015, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
Just kinda scoping out the area with intentions of going back in the evening with some primes and a lot more time.

Ha, that sounds like a plan...one thing I've learned with my wife is to leave the camera (and/or flyrod) packed safely away.
04-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lol yeah. I learned that real quick. She's actually the reason I sold my da 21 to buy the 18-135. Changing lenses every time I want to take a picture doesn't go over well.

04-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

It is difficult to tell if the trees or the water are the main subject since they each take up half of the photo.. I also would look to crop so that the water takes up about 2/3rds of the image. The reflections are interesting. Much more so than the trees in my opinion.

Ted