Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Family photo
Lens: Auto Takumar 35mm f2.3 Camera: K30 Photo Location: Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

I took this shot of a mates family the other day. I was kind of shocked by how it turned out (there is some photoshopping but not much). The reason for being shocked was the IQ (60 year old lens) and perhaps composition (I was snapping away and really not organising the people all that much).

Keen for views on the image as this is perhaps my best 'people' shot ever (note: colours never seem as good in uploaded photos than natively on my computer in ipreview etc)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After seeing the image on pentaxforums I have retouched the image to make some alterations (to see if I can lift the colours a little) seems to have worked

First edited version
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The main problem are the skin colours and exposure, white balance may have been wrong also. A fill flash could have helped possibly.

All done in OLONEO Photo Engine
Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:47 AM.
04-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for that. I'll play with the colours some more, but, it is now obvious to me that my screen is definitely not calibrated. Colours look good in Photoshop, it is only after exporting to another device or uploading to PFs that colours change.

Your changes are closer to the truth, but the skin tones are now too white. Definitely darker, pinker colouration is required to bring the picture closer to the truth.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 07:00 PM ----------

Regarding fill flash, totally agree. I used this on another camera during the shoot and the photos generated were better.

04-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Colours look good in Photoshop, it is only after exporting to another device or uploading to PFs that colours change.
After you've done all your PP in photoshop, be sure to export your image in the sRGB color space. Edit=>Convert to Profile=>sRGB.
04-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #6

Liking the composition for this group shot.
04-08-2015, 01:59 AM   #7

Love the composition.

They (particularly their faces) seem a little underexposed. Ideally fill flash or a reflector could have been used to brighten their faces, though this is not all ways practical when taking fun candid pictures. You could do with pushing the exposure of their faces in pp.

The biggest issue for me is skin tone, they look a bit yellow. The woman on the right looks completely jaundice!. I will add a disclaimer that I'm using my uncalibrated work monitor so that may play some part. Shraubstock is on the right lines, although on this monitor they are now looking a bit too pink!

04-08-2015, 03:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I have changed the export specifications (THANKS ) and made some minor colour alterations to the skin tones (using various masks).

Here it is

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 08:03 PM ----------

oh yeah - much better. Probably needs a little more work, but the above alterations took 5 minutes to complete.

Thanks everyone for helping out!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For a family portrait that back lighting is a real no no.
Also based on just this screen dump I think you may have picked up some lens flare.
There just seems to be a subtle softness that I can't put my finger on - unless that was your intent to PP it that way.

Worked on WB and bringing out shadow detail in the faces.....

Last edited by wildman; 04-10-2015 at 06:42 AM.
04-08-2015, 04:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wildman. I used a Auto Tak 35mm f2.3 at f8 and original hood, but on APS-C so lens flare is a real possibility (but I thought I avoided it). There was much glare on that day, and all the backdrops available were either unsuitable (see building to the right of the photo) or were sky (no trees, veg or the like). At least the sun was behind me. Ultimately, with your comments in mind I am still quite satisfied.

Perhaps I could use PS to cut in a better backdrop.
04-08-2015, 04:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Thanks Wildman. I used a Auto Tak 35mm f2.3 at f8 and original hood, but on APS-C so lens flare is a real possibility (but I thought I avoided it). There was much glare on that day, and all the backdrops available were either unsuitable (see building to the right of the photo) or were sky (no trees, veg or the like). At least the sun was behind me. Ultimately, with your comments in mind I am still quite satisfied.

Perhaps I could use PS to cut in a better backdrop.
I hear you.
Sometimes, especially with a quick and dirty family gathering, you just have to grab what circumstance allow - no shame in that I do it all the time when my tribe gathers.
30 years later no one is going to give a damn about a little flare or softness.