Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still have to understand if I like it or not.
Lens: K 50mm f1.4 Camera: K2DMD Photo Location: Garda Lake, Northern Italy ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 

This was taken at sunset on a lake in difficult lightning conditions (I know once upon a time they had special filter for sunset and sunrise, but in this case I just used a warming filter), I originally wanted to shoot just the ferry boat then I noticed the small boat and I thought it would be a good contrasty element to have it in the foreground and backlighted.

What do you guys think?

I used Portra160, as usual.

04-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Doesn't really do much for me, sorry.

Too much in the bottom half of the frame (the mast does not really balance it out), and the far boat is lost in the background buildings.
04-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Strange, I would have expected to be criticised for the lighting, not the compositions, while it is true that the upper half of the frame is empty I didn't want to cut the mast and being the ferry boat a long ship I would have to fill the lower part with water, to be honest I didn't think it would have been a good composition.

Still I have to experiment with light at dawn and dusk...would a 80A filter help with the reddish light that comes from the setting sun?