Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 06:48 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sawtooths!!!
Lens: 10-20 Camera: K5 Tripod Photo Location: Sawtooths, Near redfish Lake ISO: 280 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 

With the BigLeeStopper, I'm able to slow a day-lit exposure down to about 30 seconds. Even more when it's in the shade, like 45sec. Here's one I'd like to have constructively criticized.

Go hard or go home. I want your advice!!!

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 05:52 PM ----------

Meant to put this in Nature/ landscape category. Too late now!

05-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I absolutely love this image! Very well done, catching the light shining down thru the trees really accents it!
05-07-2015, 02:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I absolutely love this image! Very well done, catching the light shining down thru the trees really accents it!
Yeah, I agree. Thanks for your kind words. I'm entering it into this months contest.
08-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
With the BigLeeStopper, I'm able to slow a day-lit exposure down to about 30 seconds. Even more when it's in the shade, like 45sec. Here's one I'd like to have constructively criticized.

Right on! Very nice combination of the lit and shadowed areas.

09-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

It looks great, but I would like to see what it would look like with a little local exposure boost on the rocks. I think that would emphasize them as the subject and give the photo a nice vignette effect. I really like the overall feel of the photo.
09-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the contrast and how the bring sun is the point of focus, and that the shadows are dark. The rock (tree trunk?) on the middle right is a little distracting, perhaps it would help darkening it? I would also try to crop it to 5:4 evenly
09-03-2018, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
O.K., you ask for it. (I am not one to hold back anyway.)
It is no good to say “lovely image” when manifestly it is not. No one will ever benefit from it. But wait a minute, it is actually a lovely image, it just needs a bit of TLC and a willingness to swim against the tide of the current misguided trend that running water must always be rendered as fog and the believe, if strong colours are good, stronger colours must then be even better. More is not always better.

Firstly, I do not like the fog, it does not look like water should look and particularly running water. This is my opinion and I stick with it. Nature provides an enormous spectacle when water tumbles down a mountain or runs down a hill along a creek. Most likely, no make this a fact, this is why people like you and me seek out locations to immerse themselves in the spectacle. There is a way to photograph water such as a waterfall so it does not look frozen in time (unless it actually is frozen) or like bright white fog. A middle way which sits between those two extremes will be fine.

Secondly, you have gone overboard with the blue, which I bet was not there in the first place. What you have done is, you have thrown a thick blue blanket over the total foreground turning everything blue without mercy. The rocks are now blue but they shouldn't be. There is no colour variation in the foreground anymore only the density of blue varies.

Thirdly, the foreground is too dark, it needs to be more “sympathetic” with the lovely illuminated tree background. Otherwise these two light intensities fight each other to much.

Fourthly, a little crop, namely a bit off the foreground and a bit on the left I think will enhance this picture.

Last but not least, I have straightened the trees so they don't look like chopsticks falling outward standing up in a container.

Hope I haven't stepped on your necktie. (Thinking of Trump here ) If I have, please forgive me.

Below, the result of my meddlings.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 PM.
10-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #8

beautiful colors, too much details added