Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

How to improve this photo?

Hi.

This shot is obviously focused on the wrong point (altough I don't dislike it that much) and have a tedious background, but the zoo I take this photo at seems to have a love for uniform terrains which colors match the one of the animals in the exhibit, so...there were not that much options

What I'm trying to understand now -and the critiques I'm searching for- is how to improve my photos during RAW development. No retouches, filters and such, just the basic Silkypix's tools.

Thx

Attached Images

05-08-2015, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first rule of wildlife photography is that the eye must be sharp. Humans look to the eyes to establish a relationship. The background could be post-processed to compliment the picture. Focus can't really be fixed (within reason).
05-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try adjusting the exposure +0.5 and saturation (+30 in LR5.) The result is a bit brighter and vibrant.
05-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The first rule of wildlife photography is that the eye must be sharp. Humans look to the eyes to establish a relationship. The background could be post-processed to compliment the picture. Focus can't really be fixed (within reason).
Really? And a 'like'? Drizzt acknowledged from the outset that the focus point was off and requested specific feedback with this in mind. The first rule of answering a question is to read the question.

05-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the background and composition, but the unfocused beak is a little distracting.
05-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Really? And a 'like'? Drizzt acknowledged from the outset that the focus point was off and requested specific feedback with this in mind. The first rule of answering a question is to read the question.
Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? If a shot like this isn't sharp, what else is there to discuss? He asked for post-processing help, but that can't fix this shot! Telling him otherwise would be lying. To improve it, we need to back up a few steps. As I said, the eye needs to be sharp. Also, the angle is too high. Get down on your belly if that's what's needed. If the backgrounds are similar to the subjects, then use light to separate them.

Edited to add: And...what was your contribution to answering his question?

Last edited by TaoMaas; 05-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.
05-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just brightened, added contrast, minor crop.

Attachment 267819

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-29-2016 at 11:10 AM.
05-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? If a shot like this isn't sharp, what else is there to discuss? He asked for post-processing help, but that can't fix this shot! Telling him otherwise would be lying. To improve it, we need to back up a few steps. As I said, the eye needs to be sharp. Also, the angle is too high. Get down on your belly if that's what's needed. If the backgrounds are similar to the subjects, then use light to separate them.

Edited to add: And...what was your contribution to answering his question?

First things first: I did post in the wrong forum. I didn't notice there is a PP forum, so this is entirely my fault. I'm going to open a new thread there, this can be closed by a mod, no problem at all for me.

That said...shot is focused wrong because I was too busy trying to not be pinpointed in the...errr...male parts of my body I'm fond of, by a 2 feet beak moving damnly fast
So, as I KNOW it is out of focus, I wrote it at the beginning of the post and asked for comments on everything else, something like SpecialK corrections or jawsy's exposure suggestions.

On a side note: I obviously like all those perfect photos taken from the right angle, with a perfect focus, full of colors, vibrants, etc. etc...but I do shot for myself during my trips and I do like my shots to be just a bit "unconfortable", maybe just a little bit different from the usual "holiday's shots" all perfectly composed (and that is exactly what I shot, tbh). Not all of them, but I do not dislike from time to time a strange perspective, the focus not exactly where it should be, things like such.
Not being a photographer, but just a guy going 'round with a camera, I can bear a little bit of freedom and oddeness (and realism) in my photos
(the focus point in this shot is still wrong, however )
05-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I suggest that you use a depth of field setting of between 5.6 and 8. This would eliminate your focus issue. Nice pic just the same, the beak detail would have been impressive if the pic would have been all in focus. No pp can help you with your pic other than changing the contrast and maybe exposure settings. But this won't help you improve the focus which is the primary problem here imho.
05-09-2015, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #10

Or you could take things to their extremes.
Attached Images

05-10-2015, 12:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Something like that. Please accept my apologies for a poorly expressed sentiment.
05-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When I've fluffed a shot..... but for one reason or another I still want to keep the shot (such as missed focus) .... I try to look into why it's of interest...... or what is the narrative that I want the shot to have..... then I decide on a direction to process it that fits with the narrative.

maybe something even silly, such as a 70's post card look such as this

https://flic.kr/p/p5dBB8
05-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Something like that. Please accept my apologies for a poorly expressed sentiment.
Not a problem.
05-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not familiar with SilkyPix so I can not advise on its use. Sometimes however a Black & White conversion can "rescue" an flat image.
05-15-2015, 03:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I might try cropping the image so the beak takes on a more prominent role, and bump up the contrast and saturation as OldGeaser has demonstrated.