Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Wife
Lens: Sigma 150-500 Camera: K-5IIs Photo Location: Houston Area, Texas ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.7 

This is a candid I took of my wife while on an afternoon outing to Brazos Bend State Park. I like what it captures in terms of her expression.

The photo was taken at 500mm. The post processing was extremely minor, and there was no cropping.

Your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

05-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
The photo was taken at 500mm
Not the normal portrait glass choice...you not allowed to closer to her than that.
05-26-2015, 04:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Not the normal portrait glass choice...you not allowed to closer to her than that.
Pretty much. If she even thinks a photo is about to be taken, she puts on her photo-pose smile. I need to be pretty far away to get something candid.
05-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pretty much. If she even thinks a photo is about to be taken, she puts on her photo-pose smile. I need to be pretty far away to get something candid.
Also called "the camera persona"
My wife does even worse, she looks away, looks down, etc. All to not get her photo taken...

05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably got to find another way, Don, to get the expressions you want, with a regular lens at regular distances.

At 500mm, it's hard to get everything right ... do you agree the focus seems to be on the plane of her vest collar rather than her eyes?

(Edit with added suggestions) With an unwilling subject, you can shoot while they're interacting with children, pets or doing their favourite hobby. Shoot fast and unobtrusively.
Then move on to solo shots when they're in a familiar and comfortable place - kitchen, back garden, whatever. The poses at first should have them looking down or away (say, out the window) to minimize their stress. This is why (and you know it) your photo works so well.

Work fast and know your controls so that you spend your 60 seconds talking to them instead of looking at and fiddling with your camera!

Last edited by clackers; 05-27-2015 at 02:05 PM.
05-27-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I can't explain why, but I like this picture. It's something special in there. Maybe love
05-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

This image is worthy of a bit of tinkering, mainly to lessen the overbearing green background which is the result of a strong green cast which in turn also destroys the skin tones. Its also a bit soft for obvious reasons but I, for one, don't mind that.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:48 AM.
05-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Probably got to find another way, Don, to get the expressions you want, with a regular lens at regular distances.
At 500mm, it's hard to get everything right ... do you agree the focus seems to be on the plane of her vest collar rather than her eyes?
clackers - I agree about the focus, but I think I would probably soften the vest, as I like the softness of her face. I usually try to capture her with my 18-135mm, but I was messing around with my new (to me) Sigma 150-500mm and just grabbed a couple of shots as she was walking towards me.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I can't explain why, but I like this picture. It's something special in there. Maybe love
micromacro - Yeah, I just like it too. Maybe love? Hell yeah - she gave me the okay for the Sigma!

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

This image is worthy of a bit of tinkering, mainly to lessen the overbearing green background which is the result of a strong green cast which in turn also destroys the skin tones. Its also a bit soft for obvious reasons but I, for one, don't mind that.

Cheers
Schraubstock - Thanks for your work. You certainly improved the coloring. There was no doubt that the green needed to be put under control. I put the photo up here with almost no work at all.

Thanks for all the thoughts - I always learn on this site.
05-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I like what it captures in terms of her expression.
That is a huge thing and really is what photography is all about, isn't it? At its best, photography freezes a moment in time that reveals something to the viewer. If that moment is right, we forgive a lot of the technical stuff.
05-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That is a huge thing and really is what photography is all about, isn't it? At its best, photography freezes a moment in time that reveals something to the viewer. If that moment is right, we forgive a lot of the technical stuff.
Yes, I think so.

Here's post I wrote elsewhere on the Pentax Forums that essentially takes a lot of words to say what you succinctly summed up in one sentence.

Thanks for your thoughts.
07-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

I like the original over the edited piece to control the green. The edit ended up making her skin look grayish and somewhat lifeless. Nice shot, don't mind the focal plane at all.