Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
catching the wind
Lens: DA50 1.8 Camera: K3ii ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/3200s Aperture: F1.8 

It was a really windy but bright day and I tried to catch these leaves swirling about in the wind without the whole thing looking blurred. Although I am quite pleased with it,with some sharp bits and movement blur, is there a better way of doing this other than just setting a high shutter speed and hoping for the best?

05-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well done
05-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
...is there a better way of doing this other than just setting a high shutter speed and hoping for the best?
What you're trying to do requires taking a LOT of shots because it's such a serendipitous thing. Shoot a bunch...and pick the best. In a situation like this, the only other way I know to combine sharp elements with motion-blurred ones is to use a pop of flash combined with a slow shutter speed. But even then you have to worry about containing the flash to only the part you want sharp.
05-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
What you're trying to do requires taking a LOT of shots because it's such a serendipitous thing. Shoot a bunch...and pick the best. In a situation like this, the only other way I know to combine sharp elements with motion-blurred ones is to use a pop of flash combined with a slow shutter speed. But even then you have to worry about containing the flash to only the part you want sharp.
I think I'll trust serendipity, it's just a fun thing to see what comes.

05-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You could use trailing sync flash with low shutter speed. This will capture the movement you want while freezing when the flash pops. It fun messing with too.
Derek
05-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
catching the wind
I use a large pop up reflector in its diffuser mode, as a partial wind break to get more control over the image.
10-23-2019, 01:29 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a really windy but bright day and I tried to catch these leaves swirling about in the wind without the whole thing looking blurred. Although I am quite pleased with it,with some sharp bits and movement blur, is there a better way of doing this other than just setting a high shutter speed and hoping for the best?

perfect focus and colors !