Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Barn Storage
Lens: pentax DA 18-135mm Camera: pentak k-3 Photo Location: Maryland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F3.5 

I was trying to get some low light practice. I was wondering if this is developed correctly and the white balance is correct, or if it looks like too much clarity. Over sharpened?

Last edited by Murfy; 08-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.
06-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I was wondering if this is developed correctly and the white balance is correct, or if it looks like too much clarity. Over sharpened?
None of the above. Overall It looks pretty well done.

To my eye and on my monitor it might be a bit better with a tad more shadow detail....

Last edited by wildman; 06-03-2015 at 09:52 AM.
06-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, I just see all the noise in the shadow area and around the windows it looks too "glowy" like over processed HD images. I made some more edits to try to tone it down a bit
06-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I agree with wildman.
Its a terrific little picture but it would need a bit more shadow detail. Mind you this is not easily accomplished with the bright window. Exposure is tricky, either you blow out the window (no, not the window, the image outside ) and get better exposure of the books on the shelf or the other way around.

Image stacking is the way to go here. But there is another way to do something about it at least to a certain level of satisfaction. You need software which will allow you to target certain areas of the image for manipulation. The best file format to do this with is of course RAW which will have more information to work with and you will be amazed how much detail shadow areas contain waiting to be rescued.

Here is an example. I use a nifty little program called Nik Viveza which will allow you to target any area in the image for manipulation. But don't forget I have worked here on a small 8bit JPG, so it is not optimal.

Regards

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:48 AM.
06-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I agree with wildman.
Its a terrific little picture but it would need a bit more shadow detail. Mind you this is not easily accomplished with the bright window. Exposure is tricky, either you blow out the window (no, not the window, the image outside ) and get better exposure of the books on the shelf or the other way around.

Image stacking is the way to go here. But there is another way to do something about it at least to a certain level of satisfaction. You need software which will allow you to target certain areas of the image for manipulation. The best file format to do this with is of course RAW which will have more information to work with and you will be amazed how much detail shadow areas contain waiting to be rescued.

Here is an example. I use a nifty little program called Nik Viveza which will allow you to target any area in the image for manipulation. But don't forget I have worked here on a small 8bit JPG, so it is not optimal.

Regards
thank you, I will look into that program. I took a few exposures with the window more blown out and more detail in the shadows but could not figure out which photo I liked better. I shot in RAW and use Lightroom and was debating on using HDR to merge the photos but I moved too much, I didn't use a tripod
06-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
was debating on using HDR
Not needed in this case.
Just put the outdoor portion of the shot in a separate layer and then PP the indoor and outdoor portions independently of each other and fade them back together - very precise and controlled.
I'm not suggesting you should go as far I did with this it's just an example. I even desaturated the indoor portion a bit to make it more realistic to the human eye under low light conditions.
Of course with a proper full sized RAW file you can do much better and, in any case, HDR is rarely needed if all you need is a bit more DR.

Last edited by wildman; 06-11-2015 at 08:56 PM.