Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 12:19 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Opera Paris
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Contemporary Camera: K30 Photo Location: Paris 

Unfortunately, the building bottom is not there because it was crowded ! That is Paris . Wanted to know your thoughts about this shot

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-03-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'ts a nice pic, If you can try at night, there are less people around then.
06-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marco crescenzio Quote
I'ts a nice pic, If you can try at night, there are less people around then.
would be a good way to start learning long exposure
06-03-2015, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #4

I think if you use a higher ISO like 400-800 you will achieve a good night shot , and also if you dont have a
cable release then I would suggest to use you self timer; I would try if I was there.:rolleyes
Oh don't forget your tripod.

06-03-2015, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Why not crop it at just below the balcony(?) so you don't have half of the entrance missing
06-03-2015, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #6

he is in Paris ,why not have a go.
06-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marco crescenzio Quote
I think if you use a higher ISO like 400-800 you will achieve a good night shot , and also if you dont have a
cable release then I would suggest to use you self timer; I would try if I was there.:rolleyes
Oh don't forget your tripod.
thanks for the advices

06-03-2015, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #8

you can do long exposures although during day time. Put hands on some ND 1000 filters or more, or some IR filters.

iīm using ir filter, depending on direct lighting you get different results

in the first picture there are a lot people staying or moving in shadow - no direct sunlight - minimal ghosts. 2 min.

second - second blurring people - shorter time, like 30 seconds, can make people a bit anonymus and informal, depending on what you would like to see - if thereīs even a blurred shadow of a person, other can relate to it and the picture becomes more attractive.

third - people mist, that what you get with direct sunlight, and a whole LOT of people. 2 min

for ir you will need some background knowledge, and pp knowledge. nd filters - just practice, it will come.

Last edited by Vitalii; 10-14-2015 at 06:02 AM.
06-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
you can do long exposures although during day time. Put hands on some ND 1000 filters or more, or some IR filters.

iīm using ir filter, depending on direct lighting you get different results

in the first picture there are a lot people staying or moving in shadow - no direct sunlight - minimal ghosts. 2 min.

second - second blurring people - shorter time, like 30 seconds, can make people a bit anonymus and informal, depending on what you would like to see - if thereīs even a blurred shadow of a person, other can relate to it and the picture becomes more attractive.

third - people mist, that what you get with direct sunlight, and a whole LOT of people. 2 min

for ir you will need some background knowledge, and pp knowledge. nd filters - just practice, it will come.
very nice, I didn't know this kind of effect !
06-04-2015, 12:52 AM   #10

Now that's the kind of tech that is inspiring, I will try soon, just waiting for the filter to come in the post.
thanks for that, and nice pic's.
06-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
I noticed that the exposure time is more than 120 s. How can you perform this ? is there an option on the K-30 to do it ? I though maximum exposure time was 30 s ..
06-04-2015, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
I noticed that the exposure time is more than 120 s. How can you perform this ? is there an option on the K-30 to do it ? I though maximum exposure time was 30 s ..
Thats the Bulb setting in the shutter speed. somwhere in the settings you can adjust how you want to use it - i think the standart is - expose while shot buttton is pressed. you can switch it to start exposing by first press of shot button, and stop by pressing it second time.
the most easy and professional way is using IR remote - same settings press one time to activate, second, to stop shooting.

marco, did you order the IR filter or ND? The ND is used as usual, but IR can be a bit harder to figure out.
Short crash course into IR Photography -

The first and most important is White Balance. The incamera white balance will give you quite a nice results, you need to search for manual white balance, and then set it, pointing on some green grass or leaves in direct sun. depending on your camera you will get pictures with 2 different falce colors - you will already get good jpgs. if you want to go RAW, itīll be bit compicated.
The problem is Photoshop, and Lightroom donīt have big enough color range, and you just get some 50 shades of RED images. iīm working with Capture one pro, it gives me all the color range i need, so i just need to adjust some contrast and sharpening. later versions of lightroom may do it too, but iīm not sure. There are some more complicated ways to do it with photoshop - just google it.

Second - metering. forget it. the only camera which metered IR more or less accurate, was k3, otherwize you need just test it out. set iso 6400, and try 1/2 sec., 1sec, 2 sec, etc.
What do you get - look at the histogramm or at the picture if it looks fine for you, shoot a good picture with iso 100-200.
And now the trick - rule of 60. To get right exposure on ISO 100, you need the time from iso6400 x60. So 1 sec. at Iso 6400 becomes 1 minuit on iso 100 etc.

Third - Optical Viewfinder cap. The light comes throught the OV is not to underestimate. You need a cap, for it, or smth else just to keep it dark. same for any kind of long time exposures

now how do you proceed

1) find your shot.
2) set up tripod, or anything else to keep it stable for a long time.
3) put your camera on it and adjust the composition(Filters are dark as hell, so you wonīt see anything) / adjust focus - autofocus, or hyperfocal length, on manual lenses - and then switch the focus OFF!.
4) put IR filter on, The OV cap, go to manual WB(which you have saved before), iso 6400, 2 sec - get the right time for perfect exposure.
5) Set iso100 and right time x60, switch to remote and 3s mirror lockup.

it will take a while camera to save the picture - 2-5 minuits, so donīt panic.
have fun.

Last edited by Vitalii; 06-04-2015 at 02:24 AM.
06-04-2015, 02:22 AM   #13

That was very VERY informative, No I didnt order the IR filter, I did order a set of ND filters 2-4-8-16,
Ill play with these but I will get more informed on the IR way.
Thanks alot for that info.
06-05-2015, 01:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great tread, very informing and inspiring. And Paris, great place and nice photo.
06-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

Great job. The picture isn't level though. However, you can potentially get a picture of the entire building without people around it.

Just set your camera on a tripod or a level surface and take 2-3 pictures every minute. And maybe do this for about 10 minutes. Then you can take all those pictures into Photoshop, click Statistics under scripts and it should remove all those people from the picture. How long and how many pictures you taken during that time depends on how many people. So if a crowd of people is standing there for the entire 10 minutes, you're not going to get any data from behind them.

There's a lot of tutorials for this. Here's one.

Amazing Photography Tricks: How To Get A People-Free Picture At A Tourist Trap - Digital Photo Secrets