Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

Meet Me To The Protest

girl watching some protesters on the street

Attached Images

06-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Forum Member

Interesting take. My eyes though are drawn to the man's sign in the center of the image, not the girl - which I think should be the subject of the photograph. I think the levels are off - brighten her up a bit and bring down the brightness in the signs. That's just my opinion though.
06-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,only that see,please, that the girl is posed central ,so obviously representing the main subject .The men behind only make sense for the picture part of the !Anyway I tried here to make a balance between.Thank you.
06-08-2015, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really get what you are trying to achieve in this photo. I gather you want to show that the girl (riding a bicycle) is watching curiously a group of protesters; was that something interesting about the girl's facial expression? or the protesters looking at her (are there many)? IMHO, first, your framing (portrait orientation) of the photo is not helping at all in conveying your message; second, there is nothing to draw the viewer's attention here - blown highlight and black and white don't help either.

06-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I don't really get what you are trying to achieve in this photo. I gather you want to show that the girl (riding a bicycle) is watching curiously a group of protesters; was that something interesting about the girl's facial expression? or the protesters looking at her (are there many)? IMHO, first, your framing (portrait orientation) of the photo is not helping at all in conveying your message; second, there is nothing to draw the viewer's attention here - blown highlight and black and white don't help either.
My sentiments exactly.
06-08-2015, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancelav Quote
Hi,only that see,please, that the girl is posed central ,so obviously representing the main subject .The men behind only make sense for the picture part of the !Anyway I tried here to make a balance between.Thank you.
If you really want to show the picture as "the girl on a bike passing a group of protesters", I think it might work with something like this: a little girl riding on a bicycle is approaching from the left and looking curiously at the protesters and wonder what it is all about with nobody else (except the girl and the protesters) in the picture. The focus is the girl, the protesters are OOF. Again, framing, color, focus, perspective are all important to getting "just-a" picture versus getting a 'great' picture.
06-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
If you really want to show the picture as "the girl on a bike passing a group of protesters", I think it might work with something like this: a little girl riding on a bicycle is approaching from the left and looking curiously at the protesters and wonder what it is all about with nobody else (except the girl and the protesters) in the picture. The focus is the girl, the protesters are OOF. Again, framing, color, focus, perspective are all important to getting "just-a" picture versus getting a 'great' picture.
This is street photography!!! You can`t expect to do "arrangements" with the subjects and pretend what a big photo is.Sorry your comment is not so professional!

06-08-2015, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancelav Quote
I`m sorry maybe you need some basics in photography.I don`t have nothing to respond here to your improper comment !

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 05:45 PM ----------

Man,this is street photography!!!Do you suggest to make fake moves with the girl only for an arranged photo?!

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 05:49 PM ----------

Sorry to ask but you are a wedding photographer???!!!
Street photography does not have to be restricted to "P&S" style using a cell phone...yeah, I think I need some basic photography skill....
The only reason I respond is that this is a "critique" section that people like other's opinion and feedback. Obviously you just want to show your picture - how about posting it in "Post your photo" section?
06-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a great picture and tells an interesting story. To me the black and white works very well. In PP I would have toned down the protesters and made the little girl the highlight of the photo.
06-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Meet Me To The Protest

another variant from another angle
Attached Images

06-09-2015, 03:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

I like this one much better.
06-09-2015, 04:05 AM   #12

Original Poster
Street photography does not have to be restricted to "P&S" style using a cell phone...yeah, I think I need some basic photography skill....
The only reason I respond is that this is a "critique" section that people like other's opinion and feedback. Obviously you just want to show your picture - how about posting it in "Post your photo" section?
Critics is welcomed,only I expect a professional point of view not some lessons about framing,color,etc, cause I really don`t need them .Anyway thank you for opinions
06-09-2015, 05:52 AM   #13
Forum Member

What they were doing is critiquing. What do you think judges do in competitions? They judge color, framing, subject, etc. The way they critiqued WAS professional. Don't post photos here if you aren't willing to accept professional-grade suggestions!
06-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Second image is tells the story much better.