Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Grain of Wheat
Lens: Sigma 70mm f2.8 Camera: Sigma SD1 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5 

This file is from the Sigma SD1, PP with Sigma Photo Pro 6.3

Attached Images

06-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well done minimalist shot - direct and to the point.
06-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

too much negative space on the top.. makes the placement of the wheat look awkward.

colors seem muted... almost pastel...

like the lighting on the wheat.. subject.. hehe
06-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Pretty cool shot, I'm liking the overall feel of the colours and sharpness v bokeh.

Not quite so happy about what looks a dust spot, even if not, IMHO it would be better not there (two ears towards the left).

Also those few light coloured stalks bottom left corner need toning down from catching the eye, but when you burn/vignette all the corners they will blend in better.

06-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
too much negative space on the top.. makes the placement of the wheat look awkward.

colors seem muted... almost pastel...

like the lighting on the wheat.. subject.. hehe

Had thought about cropping to bring the subject even closer. The colors are a result of the weird (and sometimes wonderful) rendering from the SD1 Merrill sensor. It's interesting, you could not easily produce that effect in PP, and it brings out the intention of the barley in the background, as if painted.

I agree it's pastal in nature. Not to everyone's cup of tea. Interesting, on another forum, I had a suggestion to make that lighter, giving it even more a pastal look. I will try darker/vibrant per your suggestion.
06-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

I really like it just the way you have posted it - plus - it has so much potential to present it any way you like. I've had great fun just playing with it in PP. Here's just one of my results.
Attached Images

06-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that is true. I rarely get a composition I like when I get it back to the "darkroom" on the desktop, but this didn't get much editing from me. I sorta like the position in the large frame with the out of focus barley in the background. Your crop is also interesting, which might be quite dramatic with contrasty black and white treatment.

The sensor and Sigma lens just makes the grain razor sharp at f2.8. Amazing.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Mike