Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which photo for company photo contest submission?
Camera: K-3 

It is that time of year again, when my company runs its highly competitive photo contest. It usually gets about 700-100 images from its nearly 10,000 employees. The prizes are not insignificant (grand prize is $675, and the top category prizes are $250).

Each employee can enter one photo per category (4 categories). I've sorted out my choices for the Animals, Urban Landscape and People categories, but I'm wondering about the selection of the Landscape/Stll Life category. I've narrowed it down to these two choices.

Although there is no official rule that the images must be in portrait orientation, the winning images go into a calendar with the proportions for the image to be 8x10 (vertical). A 5x7 vertical would work as well.

Generally speaking, images that would look good in a calendar and that demonstrate some knowledge of basic camera techniques and "tricks" (e.g., shallow depth of field, interesting perspective) as well as strong composition and an unusual (but not too "arty") subject win. The work has to be done primarily "in-camera" - basic post-processing is accepted but exaggerated post-processing (and removal of elements in the image, photo filters) is not.)

The "shaky trees" image was done in camera by moving the camera in a long exposure. The lupine fields image was created using the Pentax 10-17 fish eye plus a little fill flash. Both have post-processing done within the limits of the rules.

Which do you think is the better contest submission and why? Also, if you have any opinions on whether there's something I should do with processing the image (keeping in mind the contest rules), I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First one. It's quite unique, pleasing to the eye and attracts a bit of curiosity without being 'in your face'. You could hang this on a wall and it would fit a multitude of decor's. It actually looks like a pastel drawing (I thought it was before I read your post.) I think it's quite good.

The second one is nice but not remarkable.
07-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

the first one, it seems creative and unusual
07-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Shaky trees.

07-05-2015, 01:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... I had a play with the first one in LR5 and if rules permit, a very slight darkening of blacks and very small touch of vibrance look good.
07-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I decided to enter the shaky trees photo for the nature/still life category. We'll see how it goes.