Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Went to church
Lens: Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Camera: K3 Photo Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/13s Aperture: F4.5 

Went to visit the monumental "The Dom" church in Utrecht today to make some photo's. Build in 1254 it stands 123 meters high and is "the" landmark off Utrecht. Made this picture and cant figure out witch rendering I like more. I'm trying and experiment with my PP software, your honest opinion please, on the photo and if you like the selenium PP, the first only went through standard PP.

Attached Images

07-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Carpon Quote
"The Dom" church in Utrecht

Very cool...that's a great perspective, and it would be interesting to experiment with different focal lengths and DOF's to see how best to convey a sense of scale--I'm betting that a short tele opened up a bit would really spring those arches in the mind's eye.

FWIW, I have a professional interest in the going's-on of the Catholic Church in Utrecht--especially the role that the erstwhile "Bishop of Babylon," Dominic Marie Varlet, had in almost accidently creating the schism that became known as "The Old Catholics" back in the 18th Century.
07-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Love the first one most.
07-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Very cool...that's a great perspective, and it would be interesting to experiment with different focal lengths and DOF's to see how best to convey a sense of scale--I'm betting that a short tele opened up a bit would really spring those arches in the mind's eye.

FWIW, I have a professional interest in the going's-on of the Catholic Church in Utrecht--especially the role that the erstwhile "Bishop of Babylon," Dominic Marie Varlet, had in almost accidently creating the schism that became known as "The Old Catholics" back in the 18th Century.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your reaction, I have taken shots with different focal lengths but sadly 16mm is my widest lens. I have taken also 1 at 39mm / 50mm and 100mm. The 100mm shot was originally the shot I was going for because I noticed that the chandelier gave a natural 360 overview of the interior of this part of the building.

For those who are interested a little background information. The first foundations for a church on this location date back as far as 630AC, a wooden structere then. The first stone constuction was build in 695AC, The build off "The Dom Church" as we know it started 1254 and was finaly finished around 1512. The Church was partially destroyed during the great storm of 1674 when the middle part know as the "Middenschip" or "Nave" (as Google translation is correct) collapsed. The Tower and transept were separated and are now all that's left of the church itself, surrounded by outer building and later additions. Interesting for you to know is that The Episcopal of Utrecht has been pursued by Dominic Marie Varlet but was refused to him.

I have include the 39mm and 50mm photo's so you can see the changes in perspective. The 100mm I will post later.

Attached Images

07-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I saw some really interesting things there which were useful for talking about he history of the reformation - defacement of some of the art pieces to remove faces. Went there in 2008, about his time of year. Had my then near new K100DS.
07-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't hate me, but the more I look at the first in the series, the more I like it....the blue and mauve are really well done. I do think the 39mm FL is getting you best of both worlds, though...looking forward to what the DFA 100 gave you.

At any rate, I first met the good abbe' Varlet on this continent--as a young man, he was a "Mission Priest," as the divines sent by the Société des Missions étrangères de Paris were known, working among the "Little Nations" of Native Americans close to the French settlement of Mobile, then later among the Tamaroa, a tribe of the Illinois Confederacy. An unassuming man, his principles nonetheless forced him into a life that was no doubt more interesting than he would have liked.
07-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 100mm shot, like the effect but didn't completely come out the way I wanted. Could not take more distance camera was already on the floor, Let me know what you think off it.
Attached Images

07-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The b&w doesn’t have enough extreme black or white.
I like the color version of this the best - I am more drawn to exploring the details. I also like the close –ups, the reflections in the chandler intrigue me, like the person in the salmon colored shirt bent over ….hmmm, what are doing, what are they looking at or for?