Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Waterfall help

Please critique my waterfalls. I just got lightroom 6 and started messing around with it. Thanks in advance. https://flic.kr/p/vN9EtF
https://flic.kr/p/vSYVMr

Last edited by pt1911; 07-11-2015 at 07:42 PM.
07-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I like the B and W a little better. Both are nicely done. The color one, the framing feels a little bit off. The right side of the falls is cut off. In that one, you shot at 1 second and f32 and I think I would have used f8 and 1/10 or 1/8 second (and used a neutral density filter if necessary). I just find there is a softening that comes to an image when you are stopped down quite that much. I really like the B and W one and don't see a whole lot to fix. Once again, you were at f20 and I would prefer f8, but sometimes you need to be stopped down if you don't have a ND filter with you.
07-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I only saw the b/w one and I liked it. I looked quick for intuitive thoughts and the black could use light. I want to know there is something back there.
07-12-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the B/W although I feel it it could use some brightening up in the tree line which I thinks looks a bit dull. The image is not quite level judging by the water line in the centre of the photo. The water is good with lots of interest and enough blur to give a good sense of motion. Maybe a touch more contrast especially in the cascades on the right. If you are new to lightroom, try the brush adjustments, It took me a while to find them. They are quite powerful and can be applied selectively. The sky looks washed out but there is a hint of detail which may be exploited. Again the brush tools might be useful there. The small aperture f20 does not bother me even if it does soften the image slightly. It achieves two things depth of field and slow shutter speed both of which are important.

Cheers and keep posting

07-12-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the B&W pic, too, but the bright sky bothers me. A general rule-of-thumb is that washed out skies will usually kill a good pic. I think that if you cropped the sky out, the composition would feel too tight so this would probably be a good place for a little HDR to preserve more detail in the sky and darken it down a bit.