Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ocean
Lens: SMC DA 18-135mm WR Camera: K 30 Photo Location: Vancouver, BC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F16 

This was my first attempt at a long-exposure ocean-photo, using a Neutral Density 0.9 filter. Unfortunately the sky had lost most of it's color by the time I was setup.
I would very much like some feedback on what you think of the photo, and also any general tips if you'd like to share.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
This was my first attempt at a long-exposure ocean-photo, using a Neutral Density 0.9 filter. Unfortunately the sky had lost most of it's color by the time I was setup.
I would very much like some feedback on what you think of the photo, and also any general tips if you'd like to share.
looks like a painting
10-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

AlexBW. I love the photo, its so simplistic in its creativity and colour, but I'm not in favour of long exposures, (in my opinion entirely) it takes away from the real look of natural flowing water.
10-23-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
Ocean
It's all very smooth and quite surreal.

If you want to some colour back into the sky, you could always use a coloured grad filter in PP to do that.

10-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I love the shot as well. Too bad for the sky to be so close of sea's color, but in a way that adds to the uniqueness of your shot.
10-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I find the buoys distracting and would remove them, but I love the atmosphere.
10-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I quite like it but I wonder if a WB change would bring some color back?

10-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The sky color looks wrong, too much green to it. Maybe the ND filter created a color cast. Try adjusting the white balance?
10-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aside from the WB, I like the rocks in the foreground! Nice eyecatcher! The lighthouse is a little small, but imho it works quite well, especially with the dark line of "land" to the left of it and the lack of it to the right. For me personally, the buoy on the right is distracting because it's an overall quite minimalistic picture, with not much going on, and the buoys (the one to the left gets almost overlooked because it's so close to the dark line, but the one on the right is really drawing attention to it with not much else around it) destroy that impression a little bit. I would have perhaps gone a bit lower and cropped out a little bit of the top of the sky and a little bit of the right hand side so that the buoy there is not in the frame any more. I'm not a fan of manipulating reality in post, so I'd just live with the other buoy...
Perhaps a little shorter exposure as well?
Too bad that the colour was already gone, a little more light would have made that an amazing shot as well, but with an entirely different mood than you captured here!