Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dancefloor - too dark?
Lens: DA 10-17mm Fisheye Camera: Pentax K-S2 Photo Location: Wedding teepee ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F3.5 

A picture from a wedding I attended over the weekend. I've had a few passes at it from original in various ways. The original image as it looks out of camera is attached at the bottom of this post. I've made it B&W, taken out the distracting lights on the left and toned down the noise somewhat in Lightroom/Pixelmator. The image as it stands is below. All critique welcome, up to and including 'you should have flagged that as rejected' but I'm also looking for specific thoughts on whether it is too dark, and whether I ought to try and crop off some of the right side to balance the composition. I have been cautious doing so as I am worried I will put the musician too far towards the edge of the scene.

Thoughts appreciated. Permission to re-edit as you see fit and re-post to this thread, as desired (but perfectly happy to do all the adjustments myself on the original RAW).

Attached Images

07-20-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not crop to improve balance. I would consider cloning out the line on the right. There are 2 or 3 very bright pinpoint of light that could safely be taken out. Is the image too dark? Perhaps in parts. Overall it is about right but you could possibly bring out more detail in the area to the left of the main musician. Great scope in the image to try out various things. Something like this perhaps?
Attached Images

07-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's certainly improved by the removal of the loudspeaker stand from the image. I'll give lightening the people sat at the table a go in the original RAW and see what I've got in terms of working room - will definitely have a little but don't want to overkill it. When you say bright lights are you talking about the spotlights on the ceiling (in two groups of 3) or other point sources elsewhere?
07-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off, I like Bruce Clarks' version. His image comes out a little brighter and maybe with a little more contrast to it.

I guess the question I have, is what are you trying to achieve with the image, or what do you see as the focus? Is it the lighting and the setting, the over mood, the musicians? That would drive how I might tinker with the image.

07-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you could do a linear filter on the top, and knock the brightness down, and pull up the rest of the image some. Might need a radial on the singer to knock him back a bit.

The stand definitely needs to go.
07-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Right, touch of brightening to lower half of the scene and some fiddling with levels, selective dodge in midtones for the chairs on the left, speaker stand removed, line in floor removed, some highlights trimmed out, image run through Noiseless at custom settings to fix the effect of the dodge on a noisy image. Didn't want to brighten too much as I felt like it detracted from the atmosphere of the shot. I'm probably aiming for the mood of the piece most of all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
07-21-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cantthink193 Quote
Right, touch of brightening to lower half of the scene and some fiddling with levels, selective dodge in midtones for the chairs on the left, speaker stand removed, line in floor removed, some highlights trimmed out, image run through Noiseless at custom settings to fix the effect of the dodge on a noisy image. Didn't want to brighten too much as I felt like it detracted from the atmosphere of the shot. I'm probably aiming for the mood of the piece most of all.
That is a very good treatment, perhaps I did overdo it. You found al the bright spots I mentioned except one just to the right of the musician. A minor point but the image now works for me.