Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

To crop or not to crop
Lens: Sigma EX 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Sunndal, Norway ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2 

So I recently took this photo of my co-workers enjoying the sunset and a glass of wine after work last week, and although I generally really like the image, I'm a little torn about the girl all the way to the left who's face is covered by a glass. On the one hand, it was a funny, candid moment, and hey, she was there too! On the other hand, it is distracting to the image, so my natural instinct is to crop it out. The rest of the rendering aside, what are your opinions about it?

07-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Zoe, I would leave it as is. You can't crop the one on the right out completely without cropping out part of the person in the center. If you leave the entire body of the girl in the center you're left with part of the girl on the right. I think either of those options would be even more distracting.
It would leave people wondering why a person was cropped out, or why part of a person was cut off.
07-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, leave it - you can see her eye, so that is enough.
07-23-2015, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess I'm a little weird but until I read your words I did not notice the glass in the face, all I saw was three healthy Nordic ladies with lovely smiles. IMO best to leave her in. Great colors there.

07-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Parallax explained it well.

I think I would leave it as is also or crop it for a completely different reason.
If anything I feel the the right arm of the girl on the right sticks out too much and the level of the wine in the glass suggests the picture was tilted. It is not so obvious with the other two glasses. Not that it matters much, but what would it look like if you were to a crop there and at the same time take a bit of headroom out of the picture. (See example below). Not sure myself but it is an option. I am leaning towards the uncropped one.

Once a shot is in the can and it is your only shot you curse yourself (as I frequently do) when you realize, after looking at it on screen at home, there could have been a better way of framing the image. But you only took the one shot. This is why I always take several differently framed shots when ever this is possible.

My main problem with this image however is the dullness and underexposure. A quick fix here will bring the image to live.

Regards

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.
08-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

Don't crop. Re-shoot = more wine = more fun with co-workers