Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks soft from my monitor. I owned two takumars, one tele 200mm f5.6 preset, and another 135mm f3.5. They both delivered sharper images than yours. If it was not sharp, it was my focusing error. Did you use LV? It helps a lot to focus better if you have time for LV. Did you shot wide open? It's better to stop down at least one step, or more.

08-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #17

Original Poster
I did not use the live view. When I used the live view with the focus peaking somehow i was not getting sharper images as I was able to get through the viewfinder. Also i stopped the takumar down to 5.6 instead of 4 to get sharper images. Maybe I needed to stop down further or the the issue is due to my focusing error, I do believe the lens I have is pretty sharp..
08-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Test the sharpness on tripod in LV and in VF, and on different cameras to find out which combo works better. You will figure out either it's your error, or camera focus confirmation, or the lens itself.
Also sometime I need to "warm up" using manual lenses after AF. It may be just me, but I usually shot better after about 5-10 minutes, like the body is adjusting to manual focusing.
08-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are using strobe, are you directing it from the right side (to light the shadow)? Perhaps, that's why a stronger presence of color cast there. I personally do not like to photoshop something except for correcting small blemishes, I would leave it there; but see if you can tone down the background a little.

As I mentioned, I prefer shorten focal length rather than long for reasons that longer focal length tend to create a flatter image especially when you have more than one person. I also prefer seeing the persons in full (even when they are sitting, have them sit on a rock or chair or anything); I mean so I can see their feet, shoes in normal view etc. I am also burning to ask this question: why does this family need to know their own names? Just find it a little strange.

@micromacro, are we looking at the same image? I think there is plenty of sharpness from my monitor.. I can see clearly the strands of hair on the guys' head... looks good to me..

Last edited by aleonx3; 08-01-2015 at 10:43 AM.
08-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #20
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've only scanned through the other comments, so this may have been said already, but don't be afraid to put your subjects off center. There is a certain sameness to many of the poses. And for a fun shot like #7, you want to crop in a way that supports everyone looking in the same direction.
08-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

4&5 you can see the strobe on the front child's face. That was probably a good touch in the rest. I didn't see it til now on phone.