Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Humpback
Lens: FA 135/2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: outside the Golden Gate ISO: 50 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Shot RAW on an overcast, bland-light morning last Saturday. Did what I could in Aperture, and Gimp (to straighten the horizon in the rather severely cropped image). I wonder what else could be done with it with the right knowledge. Post-processing isn't my strongest skill I have to admit. I have the RAW file available if anyone has the time/interest.

Edit: ISO 80

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very good catch.

Given the light conditions a B/W conversion is an obvious treatment. One thing I would suggest is before hand, is extend your canvas at the top and clone in a bit more sky. I do not know Gimp but it a relatively simple process in Photoshop Elements. That way when you level it you won't lose the top bird. Then I would crop it just to the left of the boat and so include some of the land on the right. A further crop of the lower portion of the water might also help, turning it into a pseudo panorama. From there it is adjusting the brightness and contrast to taste.