Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Male Portrait (Critique)
Lens: FA 31 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Hutchinson Island 

In the last few months I've gotten a little bit more serious about portraiture mostly focusing on female models but I figured I would try my hand at some male portraits as well. I found this upturned tree with root structure fully exposed near the water on Hutchinson Island that I thought would make for an interesting and intense background. I knew I wanted to go B&W and that I wanted a model that could match the intensity of the background. Also went with a more rough and gritty editing style. I asked the model (Dan) not to shave for a few days in an attempt to add to the primal feeling I was going for. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

08-09-2015, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I asked the model (Dan) not to shave for a few days in an attempt to add to the primal feeling I was going for

You should have specified not shaving anywhere...

Seriously, though, I find this a great portrait precisely because it's anything but "primal"--Dan's bringing a pretty complex psychology to the shoot...a lot of ambivalence/ambiguity in his pose and expression. I hope it finds a place in both of y'all's portfolios.
08-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is from the same shoot about twenty minutes earlier . A more conventional environmental portrait.

08-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
You should have specified not shaving anywhere...

Seriously, though, I find this a great portrait precisely because it's anything but "primal"--Dan's bringing a pretty complex psychology to the shoot...a lot of ambivalence/ambiguity in his pose and expression. I hope it finds a place in both of y'all's portfolios.
Thanks! It's true a lot of credit has to go to the model on this one. He was very happy with the shot.

08-09-2015, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really good, LeRolls, very gritty, great front-on poses!

But where are the catchlights (especially important in dark eyes)?
08-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Really good, LeRolls, very gritty, great front-on poses!

But where are the catchlights (especially important in dark eyes)?
Thank you! I am not sure about what happened to the catchlights as I was using a straight on flash for a hard light.

This shot has a bit of a catchlight.

08-09-2015, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There we go, Chris - nice!

08-15-2015, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel very.. not-manly now.. I am sure my frame doesn't even have some of those muscles.
Anyway, your photos are technically great, as usual. Sharp, dramatic, good DoF, nicely processed.
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Dan's bringing a pretty complex psychology to the shoot...a lot of ambivalence/ambiguity in his pose and expression.
But I think this is critical. Your model is not the typical "primal" man. Yes, he might be big, strong, with edges all around, but the expression is more complex than that. And the posture says more than "I am here, I am strong!". This is why I think the first photo, while good, didn't necessarily capture what you wrote that you wanted to capture. The model seems like he is thinking, maybe even vulnerable. He is not pure bravado, machismo, power.

And this is why the third photo you posted is really amazing. This is where the model's complexity works for you. Intimate shot, still very raw. But a simple macho model wouldn't be as interesting in this shot.
Anyway, you are doing great, and its good that you are getting to know different kinds of models. I always enjoy seeing your photos, keep up the good work!
08-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I feel very.. not-manly now.. I am sure my frame doesn't even have some of those muscles.
Anyway, your photos are technically great, as usual. Sharp, dramatic, good DoF, nicely processed.

But I think this is critical. Your model is not the typical "primal" man. Yes, he might be big, strong, with edges all around, but the expression is more complex than that. And the posture says more than "I am here, I am strong!". This is why I think the first photo, while good, didn't necessarily capture what you wrote that you wanted to capture. The model seems like he is thinking, maybe even vulnerable. He is not pure bravado, machismo, power.

And this is why the third photo you posted is really amazing. This is where the model's complexity works for you. Intimate shot, still very raw. But a simple macho model wouldn't be as interesting in this shot.
Anyway, you are doing great, and its good that you are getting to know different kinds of models. I always enjoy seeing your photos, keep up the good work!
Thank you for your well considered words and I see what you are saying. I guess maybe by primal I actually meant natural or exposed in a way that is unencumbered by modern society but in a masculine sort of way. When I was directing the model I told him the background was the visual representation of the inside of his mind and if he could try to convey that through body language and expression. I thought what he gave me was interesting and his own interpretation of what I asked of him and so at the time I was fairly pleased.

We had a very short shoot today before it got too dark but I did get this image which is slowly growing on me. Of course I am a lover of textures so that could be a big part of that.

Last edited by LeRolls; 08-19-2015 at 07:31 PM.
08-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
08-25-2015, 12:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazing job, especially the third picture. That one is a story teller. Any story can be inspired by that look.
08-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Amazing job, especially the third picture. That one is a story teller. Any story can be inspired by that look.
Thank you kindly!

09-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
09-11-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

great work!
09-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #15

I don't have much to add to what's been said already, just one thing about the first image;

For me, the model doesn't look "primal" at all. He looks like he has carefully sculpted his body to exactly how he wants it to look, probably in a modern gym. Personally, when I see this photo, I don't get the connection between the tree roots and the model, more of a contrast if anything.

I really like the images with the wire fence.

All in all, very nice photos.
Chris