Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Automotive Photographers unite! I need your input!

Hey Guys,

I recently tried my hand at rolling shots and I wasn't satisfied with the results that I got. They turned out alright but I dont think the shots dont convey enough "motion". Gimme your inputs! Help me improve my Rolling Shots!

Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 28.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.0056 s (1/180)
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO Equiv.: 200

edit: these are handheld btw

Focal Length: 70.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6

Focal Length: 45.0mm
Aperture: f/4.5

Last edited by quickpix; 06-18-2008 at 06:53 PM.
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take this with a grain of salt because I really don't do automotive....unless they're not moving.

I think slowing the shutter and perfecting your panning technique will help in conveying that sense of motion.
06-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
NICE! Another Subaru Guy!

Nice GC8.... looks like it is in really nice shape!

Are you part of the Subaru Club in Winnipeg?

D.
06-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Take this with a grain of salt because I really don't do automotive....unless they're not moving.

I think slowing the shutter and perfecting your panning technique will help in conveying that sense of motion.
Can you provide any tips for better panning shots or link to online articles.

the car isn't mine btw. The car belongs to a friend; I just used his car as a subject.

06-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

as you've seen, your 1/180th shutter speeds are enough to freeze all but the fastest moving parts, IE, the wheels. try working your way to around 1/100th or slower, in increments to work on your panning. get a good monopod, learn how to use it, it will help some.

oh, another thing, i'd suggest getting lower.. as with people, you wanna shoot from 'eye level', which, with cars, i equate to around the headlights.. personal preference, of course
06-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Maxwell said... Slower shutter speed and panning...

Now, you asked about panning technique.

- preplan where you will take the shot.
- use MANUAL focus and prefocus on the spot where you want the car to be in the shot
- stand correctly... by this I mean stand with your feet and shoulders parallel to the path of the car where you want the photo to happen.
- wind yourself up... if the car is moving left to right keep your feet in place and swivel your upper body to the left.
- as the car approaches and enters the frame let yourself "unwind" to the right.
- click the shutter as the car becomes parallel to your feet
- continue to swivel to the right as the car moves away. you will stop naturally at some point. don't force or anticipate it.

what this does is turns you into a sort of a spring where the naturally smoothest period of motion is right in the middle of the movement. it takes practice to unwind at the same sideways "speed" as the car but you should notice improved results right away.

this is exactly how I took this shot...

-

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-20-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typos
06-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the tips guys! I'll try it out when I get the chance!

06-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

This is a simply brilliant explanation of the technique. Thank you for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
What Maxwell said... Slower shutter speed and panning...

Now, you asked about panning technique.

- preplan where you will take the shot.
- use MANUAL focus and prefocus on the spot where you want the car to be in the shot
- stand correctly... by this I mean stand with your feet and shoulders parallel to the path of the car where you want the photo to happen.
- wind yourself up... if the car is moving left to right keep your feet in place and swivel your upper body to the left.
- as the car approaches and enters the frame let yourself "unwind" to the right.
- click the shutter as the car becomes parallel to your feet
- continue to swivel to the right as the car moves away. you will stop naturally at some point. don't force or anticipate it.

what this does is turns you into a sort of a spring where the naturally smoothest period of motion is right in the middle of the movement. it takes practice to unwind at the same sideways "speed" as the car but you should notice improved results right away.

this is exactly how I took this shot...

-
06-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #9

Not sure if you are using a filter, kind of looks like a polarizer was used, which I would avoid. Yes polarizers will bring out the contrast, but they will also reveal the driver, which can be quite distracting. Try flash on some, but also use a much slower shutter. Cars are not always potent enough to grab one's attention, so make sure the background is blurry, and not distracting. Focal lengths of 70+ will also help that. Otherwise, Michael said it all.