Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Yixian, Anhui Province, China
Lens: DAL18-55mm Camera: Pentax kx Photo Location: Yixian, Anhui Province, China ISO: 1600 

Taken by Kx, 18-55mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Anyone standing there at the location the way you did would think there would be a nice picture that can be taken here. Perhaps there can. But I think you got taken in by the nice reflection in the water but there is nothing much appealing that reflects in the foreground water. For a start the overpowering boxy structure (pic No.1) right in the middle of the frame does not make a good motive. It sits almost right smack bang in the middle and the waterline divides the image right down the middle as well. Not a very good way to frame a picture. The image is too contrasty, the house walls are too blue which looks unnatural and the sky is blown. I am deeply sorry, but I cant say anything nice about this image, it has no appeal. (At least to me)

Image No. 2 has potential for a reasonable take after a few tweaks. It too has too much contrast, is too dark and too blue. The blue is overpowering. I have attached a quick and dirty correction as much as a JPG file will allow. You will notice I have applied a crop. Cropping a picture is often totally overlooked by many photographers as away of improving a photograph.

No.3, I am not sure what this picture is all about. Is it the bridge, the buildings, perhaps the water or the green at the water's edge with the tree ? The sky is also blown which looks unattractive in the composition. It is better to underexpose (to expose to the left as it is known) and then bring up the shadow details in PP as shadow details are always easier to recover. Blown highlight can never be recovered because they contain no detail.

Attached are two rough suggestions how to frame in future. (And next time wait until the man on top of the bridge has finished taking his shot.)

Sorry for the bad critique, but I have to be honest to myself and you.
(The only other way out is to say nothing at all, but I didn't think you would want that.)

Cheers

https://negativemoments.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/expose-to-the-right-no-go-left/

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-05-2016 at 09:55 PM.
09-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate all the suggestions here, they're constructive and helpful.
For image#1, yes, the waterline could have been a little bit higher above the middle, and I really wish there could be a group of ducks or something lively floating in the foreground water.
For image#2, really too much blue and too dark.
For image#3, there are too many different things there taken in a same depth of field so it's lame, is this the point? About the man on the bridge taking his shot, I just thought he might make the scene more interesting, however, good know that he does not.
p.s. How shall I judge my contrast and color in the future? It just depends on experience or something?
I will be so grateful for more of your suggestions.
09-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing!