Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the Tree the Subject? Or the Dog?
Lens: SMCP DA 12-24mm f/4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Burnaby, BC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 

I saw this big tree, possibly a bigleaf maple, at the end of my walk around Deer Lake in Burnaby. I wanted to capture the dark massive limbs and trunk of this tree set against the heavy fall foliage. Then came a muscular dog fetching a big stick. Had a chance to take about six photos with this one clearly showing the stick in the dog's mouth.

Pixel-wise this photo is 99.9 percent about the tree or trees. But whenever I look at it, my eyes just go back to the dog again and again. So is the subject the dog? Or is it just the opening act to the main act, which is the tree.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is a very successful shot of this massive tree and the foliage around it with the tiny image of the dog providing necessary balance in the composition. My eyes found the tree, then the flow was out with the branches and down until they met the dog. No pooch, eyes would find bright empty space, photo would be found wanting.
09-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I think this is a very successful shot of this massive tree and the foliage around it with the tiny image of the dog providing necessary balance in the composition. My eyes found the tree, then the flow was out with the branches and down until they met the dog. No pooch, eyes would find bright empty space, photo would be found wanting.
Was about to ay pretty much the same thing- they eye is led by the arch of the min tree limb straight down to the dog. So BOTH are the subject
Not sure I like the spliit toning though, a straight mono or sepia would work better for me
09-07-2015, 12:56 AM   #4

Very nice indeed! It's almost like a painting.

09-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Try to visualize it without the dog. Then all you have a is a (big) tree, which wouldn't be the focal point anyway in the shot. The dog gives it some scale, and is a vital part of the shot. Gives you a david vs goliath kinda sense.
09-07-2015, 02:02 AM   #6

In my eyes it is a super good (environmental) portrait of a dog!
09-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Yep, the doggie makes the shot!

Regards!

09-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

At first glance, the photo looks abstract, and the subject is the leaf texture. Then you look some more and spot the tiny dog that lends a sense of scale to the tree. It's a good photo because of the tree and the dog, crop out either one and the photo suffers.
09-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gorgeous shot. And yes, it is a bigleaf maple.
09-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Thanks From1980 you for looking and evaluating this photo. Yes, I think the dog adds balance to the composition. Am really glad that pooch showed up out of nowhere to retrieve that stick.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 12:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Was about to ay pretty much the same thing- they eye is led by the arch of the min tree limb straight down to the dog. So BOTH are the subject
Not sure I like the spliit toning though, a straight mono or sepia would work better for me
I appreciate your feedback StevenHampshire and I must say that deciding on what is the subject is quite a struggle for me especially when there are lots of elements in the scene. Anyway, I will follow your suggestion and do a straight black and white or sepia.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 12:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Buruny Quote
Very nice indeed! It's almost like a painting.
Merci for your compliment Buruny!

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 12:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Try to visualize it without the dog. Then all you have a is a (big) tree, which wouldn't be the focal point anyway in the shot. The dog gives it some scale, and is a vital part of the shot. Gives you a david vs goliath kinda sense.
Thanks Macario for the comment about the dog giving a sense of scale to the whole picture. I think many of my landscape photos could have been better if I included something to establish a sense of scale.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 12:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by splash_fr Quote
In my eyes it is a super good (environmental) portrait of a dog!
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yep, the doggie makes the shot!

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
At first glance, the photo looks abstract, and the subject is the leaf texture. Then you look some more and spot the tiny dog that lends a sense of scale to the tree. It's a good photo because of the tree and the dog, crop out either one and the photo suffers.
Thanks splash_fr, Rupert and DeadJohn for the lovely comments about the inclusion of the dog. My intent was to portray the massive tree heavy with colourful leaves. Then the dog came and changed the whole dynamics.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 12:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Gorgeous shot. And yes, it is a bigleaf maple.
Thanks jbinpg for finding this shot gorgeous and for confirming that the tree is indeed a bigleaf maple.

Last edited by chmance; 09-13-2015 at 12:56 AM.
09-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Other than perhaps cropping a slight portion of the foliage at the very top of the image, I don't think I'd do a thing to it.... except frame it and hang it on a prominent place! A magnificent image. Love the PP.
09-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Both are your main subjects. Is like a face-off. The dog and the... "bigger stick".
I say the image is perfect in my eyes. Don't. Change. A. Thing!
09-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For me, the tree is the subject. The dog is simply there to support the tree by providing a sense of scale. Nice pic, btw.
09-19-2015, 02:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Other than perhaps cropping a slight portion of the foliage at the very top of the image, I don't think I'd do a thing to it.... except frame it and hang it on a prominent place! A magnificent image. Love the PP.
Thanks so much for your positive assessment. I recropped it following the 16:9 aspect ratio resulting in the removal of some of the foliage at the top. I something lost in the tweak? Or does it strengthen the composition?

---------- Post added 09-19-15 at 02:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Both are your main subjects. Is like a face-off. The dog and the... "bigger stick".
I say the image is perfect in my eyes. Don't. Change. A. Thing!
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
For me, the tree is the subject. The dog is simply there to support the tree by providing a sense of scale. Nice pic, btw.
I appreciate your comments mrNewt and TaoMaas. I guess we have here a classic case of differences in interpretation of the photographer's vision. When I set out to take this photo, I had in mind the tree as the subject. I wanted to capture the massiveness of the maple heavy with fall leaves with graceful arching branches. Then the dog came out of nowhere and injected a new element that prompted me to ask the question: Is the subject the tree or the dog? I honestly could not decide because the classic conception of a subject is unitary. It has to be one. However, whenever I look at this photo, my eyes kept darting back between the tree and the dog. Perhaps the concept of a subject could also be physically be amorphous encompassing several physically separate elements.

So you're right TaoMaas that the tree is the subject and the dog is there to provide a sense of scale ... and to also add a visual counterweight to the whole maple tree. That was my intent. But I also like your "face-off" idea mrNewt: the dog and the "big stick." I never saw it that way.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

On second thought.... and careful study of the "new" version, I think I was wrong in my original assessment. It was perfect at it was in the beginning! But, I'll stick with my opinion that it is a magnificent capture and deserves to be presented in a very prominent area for all to enjoy! It has a very magical quality that's very charming.