Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Not-so-angry Birds
Camera: Ricoh GR 

I spotted this flock of birds on the cliffs above a beach (Montauk, NY). They were circling as a group, I think searching for berries.

I tried composing to include some ground for scale. The ground was pretty boring, though, with scrawny ocean shrubs in the background and dried grass in the foreground, so I didn't bother filling more of the frame with the ground. That left a lot of perfect, cloudless, bright blue sky. A default Lightroom B&W conversion partially solved the blue sky it still seemed too bright. This posted version is after applying a yellow filter in LR to darken the sky.

Comments appreciated. Was there anything I should have done differently at the time of capture? Is there anything more I should try with processing? (There's a bit of banding in the sky but I think that's due to Flickr compression. My original looks smoother.)

Last edited by DeadJohn; 09-17-2015 at 07:49 PM.
09-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I tried composing to include some ground for scale. The ground was pretty boring, though, with scrawny ocean shrubs in the background and dried grass in the foreground, so I didn't bother filling more of the frame with the ground. That left a lot of perfect, cloudless, bright blue sky.
I think you made the right choice! Those birds in the upper frame that are brighter than the rest are what makes this pic, IMHO. It balances out the darker foreground.
10-23-2019, 01:33 AM   #3

I spotted this flock of birds on the cliffs above a beach (Montauk, NY). They were circling as a group, I think searching for berries.

I tried composing to include some ground for scale. The ground was pretty boring, though, with scrawny ocean shrubs in the background and dried grass in the foreground, so I didn't bother filling more of the frame with the ground. That left a lot of perfect, cloudless, bright blue sky. A default Lightroom B&W conversion partially solved the blue sky it still seemed too bright. This posted version is after applying a yellow filter in LR to darken the sky.

Comments appreciated. Was there anything I should have done differently at the time of capture? Is there anything more I should try with processing? (There's a bit of banding in the sky but I think that's due to Flickr compression. My original looks smoother.)

beautiful, full of movement !
11-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Banned

I like the b and w. It suits it.

11-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like it! I always miss the similar moments.
11-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was there anything I should have done differently at the time of capture? Is there anything more I should try with processing? (There's a bit of banding in the sky but I think that's due to Flickr compression. My original looks smoother.)
It is a nice photo, but you posted this in the critique section (albeit 4 years ago!), so I feel obligated to make some suggestions. Actually, I don't see banding when I look at it on Flickr, but anything in terms of processing that makes the birds stand out more from the sky and ground would help. Even without seeing the original, full-colour version, I think the B&W conversion is a good idea, but I would suggest making the sky not so dark, so the birds stand out more (mind you, you started with a brighter sky, so I might be wrong). There aren't any ominous clouds to highlight in the sky and with so many birds in the air, you can't make the sky a focal point, regardless.

In hindsight, if your shooting position was lower to the ground and pointed up more, I think you would get a better sense of the large number of birds in the air at the same time; as you say, the shrubbery is less interesting than the birds and only makes it more difficult to pick out the birds. Maybe just enough of the ground/shrubbery to provide a bottom border and convey a sense of wide open spaces. You are using a camera with a fixed, single focal length lens, so you can't compress the flock of birds by zooming (and probably can't get the birds to wait for you to get closer), but you could try cropping to make the birds larger.

You and I probably have different ideas as to what are the most important aspects of this scene and what you have done with it is already good, so please take my suggestions with a grain or two of salt.
11-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the shot and the choice of B&W. Composition, IMHO is good, as some ground is defenitely needed. I don't think it is distracting in any way and does not steal focus from the birds. The movement and perspective I think make it a very dramatic shot, almost disturbing (movie memories may be affecting my judgment here)

Would be great to have some bigger birds in the foreground, but that's not something that can be easily controlled and this is a great shot anyway.

11-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
...and probably can't get the birds to wait for you to get closer...
QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
...Would be great to have some bigger birds in the foreground, but that's not something that can be easily controlled...
Thank you for the thoughtful comments.

Regarding the small parts I quoted above, the birds continued to circle for a while so I could have tried walking into the flock, but quite a few were still on the ground and I'd be a jerk to disturb them. I also didn't have a hat and change of clothes to risk walking under so many birds