Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Hawk Help
Lens: Pentax SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Grandfather Mtn, NC ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 

Is there a fix for this picture? The glare is from the sun shining in?? I'm trying to learn how to shoot better pics. This was at a park, and this was shooting through a fence hoop.
200mm zoomed

Thanks for any help

09-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyBoy Quote
glare is from the sun shining in??
Yes - it's pretty much a goner short of more work then it's worth.

Last edited by wildman; 09-23-2015 at 11:12 PM.
09-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Yes - it's pretty much a goner short of more work then it's worth.
Ok. Thanks.
09-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that the photo is already taken, the only thing you can do is add a gradient to darken that side of the photo (or increase contrast).
What would help to prevent this stuff from happening again is to use the appropriate lens hood. Also, if you have a UV or protective filter on the lens, take it off. Its not needed in this situation, and it can only cause ghosting, flare, and so on.

09-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Now that the photo is already taken, the only thing you can do is add a gradient to darken that side of the photo (or increase contrast).
What would help to prevent this stuff from happening again is to use the appropriate lens hood. Also, if you have a UV or protective filter on the lens, take it off. Its not needed in this situation, and it can only cause ghosting, flare, and so on.
I have the lens hood that came with it on all the time. and the filter is just the clear filter.

Ill look into that stuff more, I know there are several other pics I took that came out good, but different angle.
09-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first thought is the haze is the out of focus fence and not glare or flare etc.. If it is the fence itself, you want to

- be as close to the fence as possible (this can mean removing the hood, but be careful not to touch the front element with the fence)
- use the widest aperture possible
- do your best to shoot through a hole in the fence
- ideally shade the part of the fence you're shooting through from the sunlight

How big were the holes in the fence? Big enough that your lens had an unobstructed view through them?
09-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
My first thought is the haze is the out of focus fence and not glare or flare etc.. If it is the fence itself, you want to

- be as close to the fence as possible (this can mean removing the hood, but be careful not to touch the front element with the fence)
- use the widest aperture possible
- do your best to shoot through a hole in the fence
- ideally shade the part of the fence you're shooting through from the sunlight

How big were the holes in the fence? Big enough that your lens had an unobstructed view through them?
Yes, I was shooting through the fence hole, that the lens hood fit right into, I might have touched it or even slightly rested the hood on it in fact.
I was literally that close, let me show you guys another pic I took from the same spot, this is one shot before the pic above. same spot, same time, just one shot before literally, I just moved the angle up slightly if I remember correctly, and looking at the pictures right.(I honestly thought there was some way to "fix" the above image with photoshop.)

09-19-2015, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyBoy Quote
and the filter is just the clear filter.
Yea, i would still advise to go against it. UV filters are useless on digital, they were only needed for film. "protective filters".. I don't know if they actually protect much. And if you have a hood, it should prevent most damage already. Only use protective filters in harsh environments, like if you have salt water spray or harsh sand grains blown around. Pentax lenses generally have good lens coatings that allow you to easily wipe off any substances.
I don't know how much better that shot would look without the filter, if at all, but I think the filter is definitely a weak link in terms of flare
09-28-2015, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #9

I gave it a quick try using DxO Optics ClearView.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo