Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cabin through the grass
Lens: Pentax FA 43 Ltd Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Plymouth, MN, USA ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 

Looking for some opinions on this shot. Sun was going down and losing light because of all the tall trees but was getting some nice highlights here and there. I was trying to go for a shot through the grass peek at a cabin that had a very contrasted color compared to the surroundings. I didn't want to disturb the environment so I tried to find a good break in the grass to peek through. Tried several angles and this was the best one. At first I didn't feel any were close to being keepers, especially because the grass arrangement wasn't in my control nor liking. Also, focus was tough to be happy with as it was always just not right. But after playing in post a little, I started to like it more. I deepened the shadows to strengthen the "hidden" feeling but emphasized the warm light source to give the illumination of the cabin a "pleasant discovery" rather than "creepy mystery" feel. There was a nice scene here. I just don't know if I got it or not. Thoughts?

09-27-2015, 03:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

I reckon you have your exposure and PP about right. On the downside I think there is too much happening in the photo. The pink flowers in the foreground do not add anything for me. I would darken the right side to match the left. An interesting idea. well worth exploring with any number of interpretations possible

Cheers
09-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Too much grass, not enough cabin...but I like your concept. The foreground grass being lighter than the cabin creates a problem in that the grass draws the eye to it. If that grass were in shade, it may have allowed the cabin to move more foreward in the composition. If possible, I'd say to keep going back to this scene to explore it in different lighting situations.
09-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Definitely not enough cabin.....you needed a ladder, and a 77 ltd.

09-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Definitely not enough cabin.....you needed a ladder, and a 77 ltd.
That would work, too!
09-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps crop off the sides, especially to get rid of the brightness of the right side; and also crop some of the top & bottom, to make the cabin a little more prominent??
09-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the flowers would be fine IF you had done a little gardening of the grass right in front of the cabin so it would be framed on both sides by the grass on both sides.

09-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions, everyone. All very helpful and highly appreciated.
10-23-2019, 01:33 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
Looking for some opinions on this shot. Sun was going down and losing light because of all the tall trees but was getting some nice highlights here and there. I was trying to go for a shot through the grass peek at a cabin that had a very contrasted color compared to the surroundings. I didn't want to disturb the environment so I tried to find a good break in the grass to peek through. Tried several angles and this was the best one. At first I didn't feel any were close to being keepers, especially because the grass arrangement wasn't in my control nor liking. Also, focus was tough to be happy with as it was always just not right. But after playing in post a little, I started to like it more. I deepened the shadows to strengthen the "hidden" feeling but emphasized the warm light source to give the illumination of the cabin a "pleasant discovery" rather than "creepy mystery" feel. There was a nice scene here. I just don't know if I got it or not. Thoughts?
very nice and calm
11-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
Banned

very nice
11-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The cabin hides too much and the context is only grass. it would be nice to get some visual information either about the cabin or about the location of it.