Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anna's eyes.
Lens: F 35-80mm Camera: K50 Photo Location: Reggio Emilia (Italy) ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F5.6 

I'm trying to learn how to take portraits. Here there is the best one I've made so far.
I think that it is a good one, but I'm sure that my idea is conditioned by the fact that I have made it, obviously. So, I'm showing it to you all, for sure more expert than me.
Click on the link for the high resolution version on Flickr.
I'm thankful for every kind of critique!

Anna's eyes. by Flavio Petrone, su Flickr

09-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't getter much better...EXCELLENT.
09-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great portrait. Well done.
09-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Anna's eyes.
This was the Anna you were going to lend me, quite some time ago, well she's still looking good.

09-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trying to figure out your light sources. The EXIF says no flash fired, is that correct? What is the light source on her right that is reflected in her eyes and how did you manage to get the exposure right for the irises of her eyes? That is what probably impresses me the most, there is a strong light source, producing sharp shadows across her face, yet most of the shaded parts are exposed enough to give clear details. I like it very much, perhaps her head covering could be a farther back at the bottom so we could see more of her mouth?
09-26-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Can't getter much better...EXCELLENT.
Wow! Thank you!

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 02:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Great portrait. Well done.
Thank you very much!

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 02:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This was the Anna you were going to lend me, quite some time ago, well she's still looking good.
Well, the offer is still available.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 02:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm trying to figure out your light sources. The EXIF says no flash fired, is that correct? What is the light source on her right that is reflected in her eyes and how did you manage to get the exposure right for the irises of her eyes? That is what probably impresses me the most, there is a strong light source, producing sharp shadows across her face, yet most of the shaded parts are exposed enough to give clear details. I like it very much, perhaps her head covering could be a farther back at the bottom so we could see more of her mouth?
Yes, no flash. I have bought a good flash but I really don't know how to use it. This will be the next step.
This picture was taken one a river (that is what you see in the upper left corner). The sun was high and strong, but I have found an area where the rocks are white. The light on her face comes from the rocks. I tried a lot of different positions to get a good one.
In the left eye the light is natural, on the right one I have pushed up the light a little bit in post production.
You are right about the mouth, I have some doubts about the low-right area of her face, it is too dark and makes the face look a little weird.

Thank you very much for everything!

Last edited by flaviopetrone; 09-26-2015 at 02:29 AM.
09-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice job! The catch-light in her left eye...(her left...our right) saves that from being lost in the shadows. I think the pose is great and you did an excellent job of using the available light. Lots of mystery in this portrait which urges the viewer to want to know more about the subject.

09-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Nice job! The catch-light in her left eye...(her left...our right) saves that from being lost in the shadows. I think the pose is great and you did an excellent job of using the available light. Lots of mystery in this portrait which urges the viewer to want to know more about the subject.
Thank you for your comments!
09-27-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice and well captured. It made me think of the NatGeo cover from 1984 featuring the haunting photo of the Afgan teen. TFS Cliff

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photographers/afghan-girl-cover.html
09-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #10

The shot is quite stunning. The only thing I would say for future dramatic portraits is to let that light catch ever-so-slightly, more in the eye opposite the light source (in this case, the left eye). If that light would have caught just a little more in the left eye instead of being half cut off like that, I'd say nothing more. :-)
09-28-2015, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jgblodgett Quote
caught just a little more in the left eye
It it was a concern... I would just PP the right eye catch light, across to left eye, as I did in this example.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/229988d14...g-swallows.jpg
09-28-2015, 03:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Arrakis... Dune... desert planet.

Brilliant.
09-28-2015, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Very nice and well captured. It made me think of the NatGeo cover from 1984 featuring the haunting photo of the Afgan teen. TFS Cliff

Afghan Girl on Cover of Magazine, Photos, Wallpapers - National Geographic
Thank you. Someone else, in the net, said that this is an imitation of that picture. To be honest, no, was not my intention. But I'm honoured for this comparison. Thank you.

---------- Post added 09-28-15 at 03:51 AM ----------

The shot is quite stunning. The only thing I would say for future dramatic portraits is to let that light catch ever-so-slightly, more in the eye opposite the light source (in this case, the left eye). If that light would have caught just a little more in the left eye instead of being half cut off like that, I'd say nothing more. :-)
Good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. Thank you!

---------- Post added 09-28-15 at 03:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It it was a concern... I would just PP the right eye catch light, across to left eye, as I did in this example.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/229988d14...g-swallows.jpg
This is a good idea too. I will try it, even if my photoshop skills are not so good.

---------- Post added 09-28-15 at 03:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Arrakis... Dune... desert planet.

Brilliant.
Thank you very much!
12-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I have to agree with Mr. Blodgett regarding the lighting. I feel the darkness on her left side is a bit overwhelming, in that it hides too much of a lovely young lady's face. There is nothing wrong with having a fully lit face of a beautiful young woman if it is done correctly. I will say this is quite a wonderful effort on your part. Your composition, sharpness and pose are all outstanding. I would also add that with her eyes at that angle with dark eyebrows, she appears to be angry. I little smile would go a long way. Thanks for providing such a lovely photo to study. I am sure we are all looking forward to more excellent work from you.

Ciao,

Antoniotee

Last edited by Tonytee; 12-04-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Additional information.
12-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #15
smf
Pentaxian

I admire the photograph as presented.
I think I like it even more if cropped a bit from the top to eliminate the light area (river) at upper left.
Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photography.