Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #1

Rotterdam, Maas river and Erasmus bridge at night
Lens: Pentax 18-135 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F9.5 

Hi everyone,

In contrast to my recent post featuring a photo of the historic part of Rotterdam, this photo highlights the modern side of the city. Again, I would welcome any suggestions or criticism.

Thanks,
Chris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't been to Rotterdam, so I'm unsure of the logistical limitations you faced framing an image.

If you can, try one without the cable sculpture in foreground. It detracts a bit from the skyline and seems to have taken focus priority off the buildings and bridge. Selecting a focus point closer to the opposite bank like the timber piles to the right would have sharpened the buildings and bridge.

The buildings and suspension bridge cables will make a good shot from the right angle though.

The exposure time has smoothed out the water nicely. If you extend to 30 seconds you could stop down a bit more which would also give you deeper depth of field.
10-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Jawsy,

I'm sure I could find a spot from which to take a photo of just the bridge and buildings, leaving out the sculpture in the foreground. I'll try that next time I'm out shooting.
And yeah, it definitely makes sense to use the longest exposure time possible. Maybe I should have taken these before it started to get cold again! :-)

Chris

PS I thought I'd check what other images I got that night to see if I had anything matching what you said. This is the closest: It's not my favourite image but maybe what do you think of the framing?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your first one was framed well enough. I cropped and tweaked your first one in LR5 as attached, but imagine there's no sculpture and you'll get the gist. Another shot to the left might make a good pano stitch (or not if there's nothing suitable there of course.)

I also noticed that the focus looks OK, it's just the file compression at work, so disregard my previous comments regarding focus.

Last edited by jawsy; 04-26-2016 at 03:16 AM.
10-03-2015, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #5

hi Chris, great effort! Have you tried night photography in the hour after suset, when there is still some detail in the sky? it often works better than pitch black, in my experience.
10-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Here's a photo I took just after sunset, also in Rotterdam. This was taken from the south bank of the Maas looking northwest towards Schiedam.

This was taken with my old k200d with the 18-55 lens, 30 second exposure. That camera had some dust (presumably) on the sensor which is visable to the left of the church in the sky.

Chris
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
10-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

That is a great picture!

10-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good one.
10-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd stick to ISO 80 on your K-5 when doing tripod work. Gives you the best HDR from what I have read and experienced.
10-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea of putting a foreground to fill the water "empty" space but I see two little problems with your original image: it is horizontally split in two equal parts and one high building is split on the left hand side. The two issues have been nicely addressed by jawsy. The modified image has a nicer balance.