Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Rate my bokeh!

I was just playing around and I took this shot today. While it's nothing stellar, I would like to hear what some of the experts (and armchair experts) have to say. What is your opinion on the bokeh here?

A second follow on question is that I noticed that when there was a subtle back light it seemed to create a totally different effect on the bokeh than say the same image without back light filtering through the trees and leaves.

What are some ideas and tips for creating different bokeh effects?

---------- Post added 10-04-15 at 06:57 PM ----------

Further information:

Camera is a K3, ISO100, lens is a Rokinon 50mm f1.4. Shot at f1.4

My intention of this thread is much more about various techniques to create better bokeh. If you know of anything that may be useful by all means do share. The intention is yes to critique the lens and the shot but to also share ways to improve and things to look for to get various effects.

10-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not a fan of those background highlights, Alamo - sorry!
10-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not a fan of those background highlights, Alamo - sorry!
Not a problem! No right or wrong answers.

This is one reason I posted it... to get contrarian responses.

That said, what kind of bokeh is your preference? Got examples?
10-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I don't like it that much. Possibly because of the dominance of the OOF area. The main subject is less at 10% of the frame and is overwhelmed by the background. I would prefer for the bokeh to be softer but you are already at f1.4. The only way to do this using this lens at this distance from the subject is to put more distance between the subject and background.

10-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
The main subject is less at 10% of the frame and is overwhelmed by the background. I would prefer for the bokeh to be softer but you are already at f1.4. The only way to do this using this lens at this distance from the subject is to put more distance between the subject and background.
You are correct. The shot is the full frame with no crop at all, pretty much straight out of the camera. That said I chose this image to post not because of the merits of the image. I took the shot in my backyard with little to no thought put into it.

That said having an overwhelming OOF area is by design--not for the merits of the image, but for the discussion that I hope to have about effective use of bokeh and how to create good bokeh, (through lighting or whatever) etc etc. I am in fact pretty happy that someone picked up on it.

Hopefully this will turn into a photography related discussion that I and others can learn from.
10-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Not a problem! No right or wrong answers.

This is one reason I posted it... to get contrarian responses.

That said, what kind of bokeh is your preference? Got examples?

Well, if there aren't OoF highlights, smooth ...

With highlights, I think less ragged ...

You may not find the background rendering in your shot distracting from your subject leaves ... who am I to argue aesthetics? :-)
10-05-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Rate my bokeh!
Its a bit nervous looking for my taste, I like something a little smoother.

10-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have brighter areas in the background, location matters as they become distinct elements of your composition. In your leaf shot the brownish highlights near the left border really stand out and to a lesser extent, the highlights on the far right edge near the top. These are where my eyes hop around, skipping over the leaf. Compare with clackers second example, the brighter areas of the background aren't so dominant and compliment the location of the fellows eyes well without competing (especially the highlights directly to the left and right of his eyes).

Changing your angle to the leaf a little bit could really move this background around or completely change it's characteristics depending on the forest. If you were able to position the leaf over a darker area, the added contrast would probably help it stand up against roaming highlights. Closer to the leaf (if your lens allowed it) would of course change the background blur but would also make the leaf more dominant and better able to compete with the highlights. Other options are lighting your subject independently and either blowing out the background a little bit to make the bright areas a little more uniform or underexposing it a little bit to tame it.

Just my armchair opinion
10-05-2015, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My thoughts exactly...and nervous is the right word I was looking for.

Almost too nervous....but borderline for me

Not as nervous...

Controlling the bokeh is not easy and not always possible. The Bigma does what it does, and depending on the light you sometimes get pleasing bokeh and sometimes don't. In a controlled setting your chances are greatly improved of finding what pleases and duplicating it.

Mostly, I just get lucky...or unlucky...I did like this one...

Regards!
10-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Yes that is a good word, I was thinking dizzy, it makes me feel like I was spinning or on a jumbly ride. I am not a fan of it, but I don't get into bokeh, either so not sure if I should comment.
10-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I don't get into bokeh, either so not sure if I should comment.
Maybe you are like my Mom....In some of my very best bokeh shots, she has said...."It's a shame you can't learn to get the background in focus."

Regards!
10-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The bokeh is really nervous to me. In general, lenses that create a "ring bokeh" often do no do well with complex foliage because it outlines all the leaves, etc especially in back light. And tips for bokeh are trying different lenses. A lens that renders smooth, gaussian-like blur often do well with complex foliage and make for a good environmental portrait lens.
10-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe you are like my Mom....In some of my very best bokeh shots, she has said...."It's a shame you can't learn to get the background in focus."

Regards!
I think I just don't notice the good backgrounds and really notice that ones that bother me? I guess I don't look at a photo and give it a compliment of "oh great bokeh" when I have seen others do that. So maybe I am just into to good bokeh? LOL
10-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just playing around and I took this shot today. While it's nothing stellar, I would like to hear what some of the experts (and armchair experts) have to say. What is your opinion on the bokeh here?

A second follow on question is that I noticed that when there was a subtle back light it seemed to create a totally different effect on the bokeh than say the same image without back light filtering through the trees and leaves.

What are some ideas and tips for creating different bokeh effects?

---------- Post added 10-04-15 at 06:57 PM ----------

Further information:

Camera is a K3, ISO100, lens is a Rokinon 50mm f1.4. Shot at f1.4

My intention of this thread is much more about various techniques to create better bokeh. If you know of anything that may be useful by all means do share. The intention is yes to critique the lens and the shot but to also share ways to improve and things to look for to get various effects.
For me, the bokeh is too busy and is the result of using a background that is too far away from the subject when considering the effect of the relative magnification of subject and background. If the background leaves were closer to the subject they would appear to be creamy blobs as more defined hard circles of colour and light
10-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, sorry; but it's too "busy" of a background for me. It detracts completely from the subject (leaf).